Video Files on Forum ×

Pre-purchase questions

jaspeter

I currently have a PX-5S and I'm considering buying a MZ-X500.  I was hoping folks on this forum could clarify a few questions I have, though. There are some features that would be showstoppers if they don't work they way I need:

1.  I'm mostly envious of the rhythm section of the MZ-X500.  I don't currently care much about the factory rhythms or chord accompaniment. I am mostly interested in just the percussion capability (for now) and would use that as a built-in drum machine.  The way I envision using it is this:  I program in the intro I want, as well as a verse loop (a 4 bar loop for example), a chorus loop that is a variation of the verse, and an outro. It seems like the MZ-X500 is probably well-suited to exactly that task, but I hadn't seen anyone using just the percussion without the chord accompaniment. Can it do what I'm describing? Would I be able to assign a pedal to switch between the verse and chorus?

In contrast, the PX-5S only has one phrase loop available for percussion (technically, there is one more if you assign it to the keys in a zone), but it isn't practical for the intro/verse/chorus/outro structure that I'd like.

Can I trigger it (preferably with the pedal) to do an abrupt stop (cesura) and then trigger it to start up again at the beginning of the phrase? On the PX-5S, I currently do this by assigning "Phrase Start/Stop" to the pedal. (Nevermind. I just found "Rhythm S/S" pedal assignment in the manual.)

Can I mute certain parts of a drum track, for example, just the hi-hat? This probably also isn't a big deal because I'm imagining I could just copy a drum phrase into another variation with the hi-hats missing.

2.  Is the tonewheel organ a simulator (built from independent audio-frequency oscillators), or sample-based? The documentation implies to me that it's sample-based. This doesn't really impact my decision to buy one, but I am curious.

3.  Do the drums/percussion take up a zone? For instance, using percussion on the PX-5S realistically leaves me with only one hex-layer rather than the two it is capable of. I understand why this is the case, because the drum engine is quite powerful and needs that extra computing resource. Of course, the MZX is advertised as having four hex-layers, so this isn't really that big of a deal, either.

4.  One of the limitations I have with the PX-5S is that the arpeggiator lock function locks all arpeggiators/phrases. So I can't have a phrase loop play continuously on one zone and simultaneously have another phrase play only when triggered on another.  It looks like the pads on the MZ-X500 can be used to trigger the behavior I'm after, one phrase locked while the arpeggiator stays unlocked, for instance, but I wasn't clear on that.

5. What's the deal with the "upper" and "lower" parts? Do I not have the freedom to assign tones to any old range of the keyboard that I want?

6. Is the bass synth monophonic mode just for specific bass sounds? In other words, would I be able to apply monophonic mode to, say, a saxophone lead? It looks like "Legato mode" in the hex layers might be what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure on that.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have!

1 hour ago, jaspeter said:

1.  I'm mostly envious of the rhythm section of the MZ-X500.  I don't currently care much about the factory rhythms or chord accompaniment. I am mostly interested in just the percussion capability (for now) and would use that as a built-in drum machine.  The way I envision using it is this:  I program in the intro I want, as well as a verse loop (a 4 bar loop for example), a chorus loop that is a variation of the verse, and an outro. It seems like the MZ-X500 is probably well-suited to exactly that task, but I hadn't seen anyone using just the percussion without the chord accompaniment. Can it do what I'm describing?

Yes

Would I be able to assign a pedal to switch between the verse and chorus?

No, rhythm start/stop is the only option. 

Can I mute certain parts of a drum track, for example, just the hi-hat? This probably also isn't a big deal because I'm imagining I could just copy a drum phrase into another variation with the hi-hats missing.

No.  You would need more than 1 track. 

2.  Is the tonewheel organ a simulator (built from independent audio-frequency oscillators), or sample-based? The documentation implies to me that it's sample-based. This doesn't really impact my decision to buy one, but I am curious.

It is completely done by DSP modeling. It is not sample based.

3.  Do the drums/percussion take up a zone?

No. The MZ-X500 has a 48-part sound engine.  Rhythms have their own mixer channels, as well as the phrase pads.  It's much more powerful than the PX-5S in this regard.

4.  One of the limitations I have with the PX-5S is that the arpeggiator lock function locks all arpeggiators/phrases.

The arpeggiator is independent of the phrase pads.  Arpeggio hold does not affects phrases.  

5. What's the deal with the "upper" and "lower" parts? Do I not have the freedom to assign tones to any old range of the keyboard that I want?

No. MZ-X can have a single split point between upper and lower parts. That split point can be anywhere on the keyboard.  All 4 parts can be layered by reassigning lower parts as upper parts, or any combination of parts can be split above and below the split point, like 3 as upper and 1 as lower, or 1 as upper and 3 as lower, or 2 as upper and 2 as lower.  Of course hex layer tones still have their completely independent layers that can be assigned to any key range within the upper or lower part.  

6. Is the bass synth monophonic mode just for specific bass sounds? In other words, would I be able to apply monophonic mode to, say, a saxophone lead? It looks like "Legato mode" in the hex layers might be what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure on that.

Bass synth is a hex layer tone mode with access to bass specific waves only.  All hex layer tones can be switched to mono mode and legato, no matter what waves are used.

Wow, Brad! Thanks for the speedy and thorough response!

The only thing that gives me hesitation is the ability to switch between rhythm variations besides using the panel button. Looking at the MIDI implementation guide, it doesn't even look like it responds to an external command.

That said, so many of the other answers you provided completely blow my mind (in a good way!) that I may just find a way to work with it as-is.

Thanks again!

13 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

If you need live control of switching between rhythm variations, then the buttons are the only way.  If you don't need live control, you can always record the changes ahead of time in a sequence.  

Yes, live is the way to go. Too often, someone (myself included) will come in late, miss a verse, or solo too short/long. With a pre-canned sequence, I think that would leave me in a bit of a predicament.