Video Files on Forum ×

Cant find drum sets at keys

Dav

New with this keyboard .

I just want to turn it on and play a drum set with my fingers to add to a song.

For the life of me I can never consistently turn this thing on and find a drum kit that has the snare bass drum etc. I’m getting a lot of odd drums when I tap the keys.

is there an easy way to remember how get to drum kits without all the confusing synth sounds attached ?

thanks so much dav

Which "mode" are you switched to when trying to find a kit all across the keys (I think that's what you are asking?) should be in "tone" mode, not sequencer or performance mode. If you are in sequencer or performance mode-each individual drum will be mapped differently, depending upon how the performance or sequence is set up from the factory-if you have not created your own user sequence or performance. The sequencer for example-maps an individual drum tone to each part of the mixer track-there are several tracks designed for specific drums-one will be a bass drum, another snare etc.  and if you select a drumkit from the individual tones-you cannot just record this tone spread across the keys into the sequencer-because the keys on the XW always are designed to be in "live" mode-will play the tone selected, but recording from the sequencer breaks the tone down to individual drums on individual tracks. And make sure the far left leslie on/off botton is not lit-this will split the keyboard, even in tone mode.  I think this might help answer your question.

Enter Tone mode by pressing the 'Tone' button. Then hit 'Various' under the 'PCM' category.

Select a patch from P 0-0 upwards to find a selection of drum kits. Kick will usually be on the lowest keys, snare a few keys higher, percussion/ cymbals etc. the higher up the keyboard you play.

See picture attached.

IMG_20200902_120904.jpg

ok , so i hit tone , pcm/various , i get all the sounds except bass drum . that drum was always on the very last left key. it seems to have disappeared , i get a bongo drum instead . i have set keyboard back to factory and still  just bongos on that key .  i have also tried adjusting pitch to see if that was out of wack .

all im trying to do is play a live bass drum into a recorder, nothing fancy keyboard wise.??

Sounds like you may have a keyboard transpose/ key range thing going on. That would explain the lowest key playing a bongo instead of a bass drum.

Remember that individual zones can be set to different key ranges. I suspect that was likely your issue, possibly in the global settings if not the zones.

Glad that you got it sorted in the end 👍