Video Files on Forum ×

Can Xwp1 send patch/program change to xwg1?

Monaro

Hey there :)

My band runs and xwg1 and Xwp1  which stand back to back, one for the keyboard player and one for me for solos. 

The p1 is the main synth that the keyboard player uses and the g1 is used as a drum sound module and solo synth, so often no one is at the g1. 

Is it possible for the p1 patch + & -  buttons to send the same change messages to the g1? 

So the g1 mirrors any changes made on the p1. Like when our keyboard player changes from performance 1-1 to 1-2 on the Xwp1, the xwg1 changes from 1-1 to 1-2.

This would be great if there is a way to do this. 

I know that the P1 and G1 can have their assignable knobs set to send MIDI CC, and in Drawbar mode the P1's sliders can send CC. But I'm not sure if either the P1 or G1 can send program change (I could be wrong here). They can both receive it, so if your P1 player is using a laptop as a master MIDI controller, he could send program changes to both P1 and G1 that way to set both up ready for each song.

XW-P1 sends and receives program change, and bank change-important if you want to send/receive program change messages outside of the GM soundset-and many Casio tones in the XW's are. Check out the midi implementation chart. For example, all the stereo pianos need bank change and program change messages, otherwise it will select the monophonic pianos that are part of the GM piano soundset, not the better sounding (IMO) stereo pianos.

Hey there and thanks so much for your help guys. 

I got it working which is great. 

I had to update the g1 os and change midi out to KEY plus a few other weird things that might cause a problem in a different set up, like the p1 sends all midi note data across, channel for channel so I had to set tx andrx channels to 16  as I don't use them and also had to mute every channel on the g1 mixer other than what I need or they would be triggered by the p1. 

But program +&- on the p1 now change on the g1 number for number which is exactly what I wanted. The g1 can be on any patch number and soon as the p1 sends a patch change across, the g1 picks up the right number so it's not just a next or back kind of set up. 

The p1 is sending the actual patch number across and the g1 reads it. 

Its really good and means that in one button press on the master p1, 3 instruments all instantly change to the next song. 

• Thanks 1

Good! Patches match because each must use the same channel and program change messages-which might not be true if you use either to send to other keyboards that might not have the same program or channel messages. Glad it worked out. another cool thing i like about the XW-it can send on either or both the the midi USB and midi DIN ports at the same time-can control 2 different midi devices from the XW. Pretty complex instrument-but a real "chameleon" if you need it to be. sounds pretty darn good too, and I've played plenty of others, for a long time-analog and digital from many major "food groups". Every time i think about moving onto something else-this one says "look at me!" sort of like a Korg Volca with the sequencer-a Behringer analog copy (model D, Crave etc. which I've been studying over) and and so similar in some respects to my PX-560-easy to go from one to the other.