Video Files on Forum ×

Step Seq Led Light off

Sol

Hello, I bought a "New" G1 in a relatively respected store. All outputs and inputs are ok (dont test midi yet); functions seem normal. The only complaint is the Step Seq button led light that doesn't turn on, although from the display the function works. Do they usually stop turning on in time? And so "early"?

Oh, and it came with a very high glue smell when I opened the box. In what year was this keyboard discontinued? Could it have caused defects even before turning it on the first time, or could it have been used as a showcase?

If you mean the main step sequencer button on the far left-not the individual step sequencer LEDS, no this is not normal-shouldn't require much pressure to turn it on and off. Glue smell? That seems suspicious to me. Could have a plasticky smell-like a "new car smell" but shouldn't smell like glue. If this is new-wouldn't you expect it to function perfectly from the factory-I would return it if it doesn't. If it's new, it will have Casio's warranty card and I recall a registration card with it I think. Plastic protective film on the main LCD window, and all accessories-power supply  and small single foot pedal. If you suspect it's not new, and you were told it was-I'd return it. 

Very grateful for the return. The light is on the Step Seq button (the third of the 3 functions next to Perform and Tom, above the Write) On the display the function changes normally, it just does't turn on the light. What would this "small single foot pedal" look like in the box? Don't see it.

The

I think Jokeyman means a sustain pedal. Neither my brand new P1 nor my shop floor G1 came with a sustain pedal though.

Regarding the step sequencer LED light, I think it behaves differently depending on MIDI settings. The button won't work at all if the unit is set to slave (has to be triggered by the master MIDI unit). Might be worth double checking what MIDI mode your XW is in? Also, consider a factory reset (after saving any custom patches/ patterns), that should put everything back to default. If it still doesn't work after that, then the LED must've failed. I've never heard this happening on other XW's before, so it's not a common issue. FWIW, both my XW-P1 and also G1 work fine (got my P1 late 2012, and G1 late 2013). My G1 had a weird intermittent section of the keyboard not working issue, though that turned out to be a trapped ribbon cable that had damaged one of the ribbon traces. Otherwise they've both worked perfectly since the day I got them.

Casio build quality I have generally found to be very good, especially their higher level models. It's rare that they experience failures. I have quite a few classic Casios from the 80s, and other than some scratchy pots (oxidization) they all still work as they should. Some of the early Casios are beautifully built, and the XWs mostly continue that reputation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chas, thanks a lot.

Well, when you click on Perform, Tone and Step Seq, all the functions are modified on screen. So in thesis it's just a permanent light off, since only Step Seq doesn't turn on, even with the screen saying I changed the function to SSEQ - the function is being activated normally.

The Midi parameters are:
Device ID: All
Basic Ch: 01
Midi Out Set: Key
USB Out Set: Key
Midi In: On
USB In: On
(other parameters all off)

I don't know if this was the factory standard.

It was precisely because I agreed with you about the durability of Casio's products that I was intrigued by this little light had already come off.

I wonder if the way to store the equipment could have made the glue smell so pronounced on the box when I opened it - although now outside the box I no longer feel it.

I came to the forum to get to know the experience of the fellow users, if you have ever been through something similar, as well as to know when the XW-G1 was discontinued, since it's 2020 and I bought the last one in stock at the store.

I studied a lot until I decided for XWG1, I preferred it to Roland's JDXi, mainly for lack of more octaves in Roland.It's easy to find an XW-P1, but this G1 model was a rare find in my country - I can return it, but I won't have another one back, neither from the store nor from Casio.

It would be comforting to believe that a small light should not be an indication that it may give more serious problems soon. The small role of Casio's guarantee is limited to one year here.

Right-sustain pedal-simple plastic. Pretty sure mine had one-I have so many-not the metal one that looks like a regular piano pedal-that I've purchased separately-just trying to sound out if you were sold a new one, and it wasn't. I have several Casios-play alot-all have been very reliable-as long as you don't drop them out the window! and one malfunction as Chas already said, doesn't mean there will be others. Remember with these-it is so deep IMO-there are dozens of posts already about almost everything with the P1 and G1 here. check out AlenK's manuals, fantastic helpful and shows how versatile these Casios are. Casio has a habit of creating unique instruments-and walking away-like the CZ's, the early MT's/CT's so it will remain pretty much a unique beast I would bet.

There are so many ways to make music on these-the XW's are like musical octopuses...my main problem has always been-which part to play with first! I go to create a sequence-and end up creating a new hex layer for fun. Or I record a phrase and end up going through all the arpeggios! Or....chain a sequence.....or edit a...never mind. There's a reason this thing won so many awards when it came out, I love mine.  and having had to learn how to program Yamaha's FM synths, with the few brain cells I have left-the XW is a piece of cake! :banghead:

• Thanks 1

I'm very grateful for everything. I have the warranty and will use it if necessary. I will not miss the opportunity to have one that is at least relatively new. I will participate in the forum and see your tip from the participants' manuals.
I have no illusions about your filter: I had some synths like Minilogue and Modol D clone from Behringer that make subtractive synthesis of classic analogs much better than a digital one like this one from Casio.
What really attracted me in it was to be a versatile equipment of rhythm and good options of MIDI control, for having everything that a good workstation needs to operate.
I especially want to understand how to use this G1 as a Master Brain in a new set of equipment that I want to unify in a MIDI Chain, and reduce the need for a computer to the maximum.
For now, learning how to use Sequencer and its Clock powers to be a control station will be my priority. But I am very excited about the potentials you mentioned. Peace of heart and a good weekend to everyone.