Video Files on Forum ×

Cleaning the keys

Trooplewis

Other than wiping down the surfaces, is there any need for a between-the-keys cleaning on the PX-S3000?

Not knowing what is inside, not sure what is needed.

I know on my acoustic piano every couple years I take the keys out altogether and clean the dust out, wipe off the pivot points, etc.

Anything like that needed with  the Casio? Turn it upside down and blow out with Dust-Off?

I personally-just my opinion-wouldn't put anything in between the keys to clean it-mine have never needed this, as long as i keep each keyboard covered which I do. Dust and other contaminants might get in under, that's where problems can start.The physical mechanisms on these Casios are very solid,work well I've had several apart for cleaning, repair or mods I've done.  Unless you have a key that is malfunctioning, I would not even use compressed air to clean the keys unless you are very careful-as this might force dust or something else up underneath-which could a create a problem where there isn't one. This can help if there is something inside that might need to be blown free but...

I have used a soft-lint free cloth to clean the sides of  keys by pushing each down to reveal the sides of each key-but only on an older Privia I purchased used, and other keyboards I've restored. There is a specialized white non-corrosive grease Casio uses up under the key mechanism to lubricate these, I'd be concerned compressed air might get that grease up under the delicate rubber boots that are making electrical contact for each key, which would cause no end of problems. As always the cliche "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies. Wish i could remember that!  A cover is the best way to go. Even during gigs-especially-even if i walk away for a set break-I'll cover my keyboards-so others aren't tempted to play it and in case of accidents in close quarters! I once had to sit on a freezer/cooler to squeeze our band into a club where our 6 piece band had to fit on a staging area designed for at best 3-I am not kidding. Good thing I managed to keep my cool-sorry bad joke.

I have 3 cats-they are my music critics. if they don't like what I play, they leave the room! Great picture. My little one had a staring contest last week with a deer outside our sliding glass door. The cat won, the deer got spooked and ran away! And yes, I have cleaned cat hairs out of my keyboards, more than once.

• 2 years later...