X5000, Can I copy Variaton 1 from style 1 to Variation 3 of style 2?

Just Alex

Yes. Use element copy, in the manual it's under "to copy an existing accompaniment pattern  for editing".  Basically, start editing the rhythm you want to add a new variation to, select an empty variation, enable the copy element function, select the rhythm number you want to copy from, and select the variation you want from that rhythm.  Press enter to complete.

@Just Alex

They actually can, but only using third party software like @shiihs' ReStyle Rhythm librarian. The variation swap feature still has some bugs for 4 variation Rhythms (specifically, it always seems to end up with whatever you swap into the Variation 2 slot being deleted for some reason), but it's the only way I've seen that allows you to copy fills into non-fill slots, intros and endings into other slots, variations into fill slots, etc with the .AC7 format.

As long as you're willing to do the extra step of manually copying material into Variation 2 after you swap with ReStyle, it works just fine. Very impressive stuff. Since you're so active in creating new Rhythm styles, I'm sure your experience and testing would be appreciated over in the ReStyle development thread. Definitely check it out and try ReStyle for yourself.

Oh, speaking of software, I'm using that excel file to convert styles from midi/sty to ac7. And currently I'm negotiating a deal with software guys to make this piece of software standalone, or even an online  service - no need for excel. The problem is that their asking price is very high for me as an individual, so I'm looking into ideas, whenever we should launch some crowdfunding project, to fund this conversion?