Video Files on Forum ×

Need help deciding

Smedo Farms

Hi all, I’m key to this forum site. I am in my 50s. I consider myself an intermediate player. I haven’t played in about 20 years. Looking to buy a keyboard. I’m having a hard time deciding because of the pandemic. Looking at budget/finances but also realizing that I want a keyboard that’s going to last. I’ve narrowed my choices down to the ct-x 5000 and the cdp-s350. I know they’re 2 different types of keyboards, which is why I’m asking for help. 

What kind of keyboard technique is your goal? Do you want to develop piano technique, or is that not important?  Will your hands give you trouble with a weighted keyboard-can be an issue if you haven't worked on piano technique for awhile or at all. The softer-action Casios I've had or have are very playable IMO-just not good for developing real classical or jazz piano technique if you also intend to play acoustic piano repertoire as well. Fast organ or synth lines-more difficult to play with a piano action instrument-definitely will take its toll if you have to play several sets a job or teaching all day (not an issue unfortunately until this pandemic goes away).

As far as sound quality-I believe both keyboards use the same Casio AIX upgraded sound generation-closer to the AIR concept in the newest Privias compared to the older AHL in the WK/CTK and older Privias.

If multi-track midi recording is important to you, the CTX has a more comprehensive midi song recorder, although the CDP has one too, just not as comprehensive for multi-track editing and recording midi.

If "busking' or playing in areas with no AC-the CDP runs on battery power, the CTX 5000 does not. If i didn't already have quite a few Casios-I'd get both especially if I were gigging alot-one for piano parts-many  50s-60s rock songs need a good piano keyboard to get the right feel (IMO I've covered these) but the addition of the CTX-5000 would give you instant access to set up additional pads, horn, woodwind, synth "hooks" and leads without having to worry about switching sounds around alot on one keyboard-with or without computer automation.

Finally...I have an older CDP-230r which has the slightly older keyboard piano action of the Casio Privia line and the older AHL sound design- even compared to my PX350/560's-very nice piano action and sound collection-the CDP-s350 is a step above this understand.

Tough choice, I probably haven't helped much have I?  :o

IMO-the most important decision-is what you can play comfortably-a piano action keyboard with 88 keys or the synth-spring action on the CTX with 61 keys. For me at least, from a performing/practicing/playing perspective-that would be how I'd decide.  I also think the CDP keys might hold up a bit better over time if you plan on playing the keys alot and you have a heavier touch. Having taken several Casios apart for various reasons-the CDP/Privia key assemblies seem sturdier to me inside than the spring actions on the others, but again just my opinion. I play the XW-P1 fairly regularly (spring-action) and it's holding up fine.