Video Files on Forum ×

bring old songs back to newer casio keyboards

davis9754

why do most of these newer casio keyboards have no pop songs? im also wondering why casio reuses the same world category songs from the CTK 4200 and don't think about adding new songs. can "red river valley" come back? what about "ajo mamma", or borderline" etc.

lk 90tv sb.png

ctk 4200 song bank.png

Edited by davis9754
  • Thanks 1

Ayo Mama is in the public domain, that’s the new spelling (not Ajo Mamma, that’s the old Indonesian spelling From before the 70’s, they must’ve got that spelling from an old Indonesian LP).

Rasa Sayange I miss too. We need some more Indonesian songs, maybe Soleram and Malam Bainai?

did Casio ever make a keyboard with many Indonesian demo songs? (I have like 1 or 2 Indonesian cousins and I’m into Indonesian music).

Casio's solution to getting around copyright problems with licensed music is the "Music Preset" feature as seen on newer models like the CT-X line.

Basically, it takes a preset Rhythm and adds a pre-programmed chord progression so you can jam over a set (but still flexible) backing track. These chord progressions, when combined with the specific instrumentation of the corresponding Rhythm style, are "suspiciously similar" to pop tunes you might have heard, but intentionally do not include the main melody line.

This (admittedly clever) solution skirts around copyright restrictions while still providing users with familiar tunes to play along with. Just remember to BYOM - bring your own melody. 😅

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

@Chandler Holloway on the LK 200s, there’s a song called “Down In The Valley”, which I believe is supposed to be a public domain song since it’s around “On Top Of Old Smokey” and “I’ve Been Working On The Railroad.” Would it be possible to bring back Down In The Valley to future keyboards, since on the CT-X 700/800, “Promenade” (song 100) was brought back from the HL keyboards, too?

You can bring this song to any keyboard that supports importing User Song files (aka MIDI files). If Down in the Valley is a popular public domain song, I'm certain there are MIDI file transcriptions of it out there.

I no longer work for Casio so I cannot say whether or not they will re-introduce particular songs to the catalog. I would just find a good MIDI file version of it and import that.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

me and a few niche people on here actually buy casio keyboards mostly to listen to the song bank and how the songs sound.

i really like casio’s unique song learning style, chords in the left hand, melody on the right hand, along with the chord labels and fingerings. i really want to see more of this on newer keyboards, i’m tired of there only being 50 of these kinds of songs for the past decade.

while midi files are a good way to expand the song bank, in my opinion it’s a limited or lazy way because you can’t add chord labels or fingerings to turn them into auto accompaniment and make them like the built in ones. and casio is making us buyers be the ones to do it and nobody realizes how boring or inaccurate midi’s can be unless they’re niche like us.

@MasterFace222 and I create our own renditions of or original songs through midi programs that try to appear auto accompaniment like long long ago, danny boy, etc. Sometimes we even recreate some of casio’s built in songs with similar or matching chord progressions and rhythms/styles. we really want casio to switch things up in some way and focus on the song bank for their future keyboards. I’m dying for casio to re-introduce world songs.

that’s sad you don’t work for casio anymore, chandler. i hope someone who works at casio notices this message.

Edited by davis9754

• davis9754 changed the title to bring old songs back to newer casio keyboards

Here's something you might find useful-or not. It's called midi4casio-I'd post it here but its a little large for uploading.  it takes any midi file-converts it over to a Casio file-but it also allows you to play around with the settings for each part, and shows a graphic real time piano keyboard to follow the notes as the file plays. similar to the Casio apps for the ipads and Android except i can use this in my Windows machines with a bigger screen and with any keyboard since it translates to Casio format midi file as long as your Casio can import and play midis. Or i just use it with a midi computer connection.

Here is the website in Russian, I have Google Translate as a plugin in my browsers, you can read a description which translates well enough.  May not be exactly what you want to do, but i find it useful for learning song melodies if you can't pick them out by "ear". And I have downloaded/installed it on several Windows computers-i have detected no viruses or spyware but as always, use you virus scanners before you install it if you are nervous. Its been clean on my computers running Windows 7 pro 64 and 32-bit versions. If anything, it illustrates how crappy some of these midi files really are! It is a challenge to find midi files that sound anything like the original compositions-and many of the midi websites have or are..spyware, like the so-called "mp3" websites which tend to have the same problem.

https://www-casio--europe-com.translate.goog/ru/products/musical-instruments/software/midi4casio/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US

Edited by Jokeyman123
typos-ggrrrr!
  • Like 1

I found this link with some instructions about midi4casio since the instructions on what it can do are pretty sparse. I don't know of a way to add chord labels to a midi file, and I don't think this program can do that. I think the chord display on certain casio keyboards is limited to whatever is in the "preset" file that displays the chord progressions on the screen. I don't have chordana, but maybe someone here with more hands-on with that can tell you if chordana can do that-embed chord labels in your midi file.

https://karakeyoke.com/software/midi4fun/user-guide.html

Here is the official Casio news release which details what chordana Play is capable of doing. again, I see no function for embedding chord "labels" into a midi file-such as can be done with lyric files embedded in midi karaoke files.

https://www.casio.com/news/detail/casio-releases-a-free-music-app-that-makes-learning-to-play-the-keyboard-fun

• 2 months later...
On 11/3/2020 at 9:09 PM, Pigeon City Chicken said:

Ayo Mama is in the public domain, that’s the new spelling (not Ajo Mamma, that’s the old Indonesian spelling From before the 70’s, they must’ve got that spelling from an old Indonesian LP).

Rasa Sayange I miss too. We need some more Indonesian songs, maybe Soleram and Malam Bainai?

did Casio ever make a keyboard with many Indonesian demo songs? (I have like 1 or 2 Indonesian cousins and I’m into Indonesian music).

Current Casio models such as the CT-X line have Indonesian rhythms (Dangdut and Kroncong) and sounds (Suling, Sasando, Gamelan, Cello Fingered and Angklung Tremolo), but ironically no Indonesian folk songs on the demo

I would love to see Ayo Mama and Rasa Sayange making a comeback with the new rhythm, or maybe 1980s Indonesian pop songs

Edited by Pravito

• 3 weeks later...