Video Files on Forum ×

Using a CT-X 3000 and a question about audio input

etp7

I finally realized this unit did not have a microphone input after ordering. So! Can I use a computer microphone as an audio in or will I need some sort of preamp? Are combo headphones and computer mics  at the correct impedance for audio in?

dtp7

you might want to re-consider.  the ct-x5000 is the same price, and though it is only 61 notes instead of 76, and cannot run off of d cell batteries, it is VASTLY superior to the 7600.  I had a wk7600 for 3-4 years and grew to hate it.  the quality of sounds for the most part are middling at best, made me regret using a cheap keyboard.  and the speakers are nothing to write home about, I would place the ct-x700 speakers, at only a total of 5 watts, probably about as loud but better sounding. 

it's hard to tell exactly, cause  maybe my wk7600 keybed loosened up over time, but I remember it just was awful to play- some keybeds MAKE you play worse, as in sloppy, and mine sure did.  by comparison, the ctx5000 is pretty decent, i have reasonably good dynamic control, and having set everything to HARD in the touch sensitivity, it doesn't feel overly cheap or loose, I can play piano on it without cringing.

the big caveat here though is the mic and battery power:

- didn't use the mic input on my 7600, but i do know Casio messed up with the x5000.  I've used mics on half a dozen keyboards and have never encountered a more reluctant mic input.  anyone using the x5k has either got to hassle with using a mixer and then coming in at line level to the aux input, or use a high sensitivity mic and possibly an impedance adapter.  That's a poor solution, you don't get fx on in aux in. 

I do have a very sensitive mic, but it's low impedance so I need to get an in-line adapter to go to high impedance (3k ohm).  with my casio mz-x500 I had no such issue (more expensive keyboard though), so I know Casio knows how to do it.  high impedance or not, they could have simply supplied the mic input with higher gain.

- battery power.  I've used lithium batteries for power hungry speakers like the qsc k10, and comparitively the speakers on the x5000 are not that demanding.  You could get a lithium ion battery for around $100-$150 and run it all day (I'm guessing, but I've got a lot of experience with this).  Lithium inverter-batteries are pretty small, and this deal from amazon is one of the best prices I've seen 
https://www.amazon.com/NEXPOW-Portable-Generator-Emergency-Inverter/dp/B07SD4KMMN/ref=sr_1_17?crid=3GI5OZRQ3APDS&dchild=1&keywords=lithium+ion+inverter+battery&qid=1606246012&refinements=p_36%3A1253496011&rnid=386419011&s=automotive&sprefix=lithium+ion+batteries+and+inverter%2Caps%2C212&sr=1-17

basically wh, watt hours, is the measurement you can use to compare.

so, besides the sound quality being way way better than the wk generation boards (which has been out for 10 years?), the onboard speakers on the ctx5000 are a joy- loud and punchy, so great to have good sound with no external speakers.

all that said, I do wish Casio would make a 76 note version of the ctx5000!  I'm just surprised at what a great board Casio has managed to make for under $500!

Randy

Edited by Randelph

OK/ got the beast today. Very steep learning curve.  Figured out how to use the 6.1 software to save a music WAV file of organ music in MIDI format. However the keyboard doesn't seem to see it, although it is in the data file on the properly formatted SD card. Maybe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spent hours getting this far, as there were no detailed directions. Had to change the folder locations to get the midi files to the card. 

Keyboard is very nice with just the right weight and responsiveness of the key pressure.

So looking for a more user friendly version of software as the free one from Casio is a little bare in the woods.

The CTX 5000 supposedly can play USB MP3 music. Not sure the 7600 can do that unless it is in a uniquely special format. 

I am setting this up for my granddaughter and this unit is complex to say the least.  

I think she wants to edit the music she records in MIDI. I was the one that wanted to make it a player piano. LOL

Also overlay microphone and multiple layers of music. 

I get the 1/4" mic Sat.