Video Files on Forum ×

Some Observations On My New PX560

TomTPX560

It takes a bit more effort to play the PX560 than my WK7600, but my fingers are getting stronger.  I absolutely love playing it.  The main piano sound is way better than any keyboard I've ever owned.  It even sounds better to me than the Clavinova I used to play a few years ago.  So resonant, and so expressive.  It has a very substantial feel to it.  Very well built.  Just a joy to play.

The color display is fantastic.  Navigation is so much easier, somewhat intuitive even.  I've explored some of the voices -- electric pianos, guitars, and basses so far.  There's at least a couple from each category that I especially like.  I've already logged more hours on the PX560 in just a few days than I did in the entire first couple of weeks when I got the WK7600.  It's going to be fun working with both keyboards, however I will probably be spending the bulk of my time (maybe even all of it) on the PX560 for the foreseeable future.

Next step is to do some recording with the PX560.  Hopefully will remember to do that very soon, and also upload some stuff to this forums.  I'm also very much looking forward to exploring the layering capabilities of the PX560.

I'm very glad that I went ahead and got the PX560 now, even though I got the WK7600 just 7 months ago.  The PX560 is marketed as primarily a stage piano, sometimes with the mention that it also has certain workstation/arranger capabilities.  I'll be using it to make some original (for me anyway) tunes, and also to do some covers of stuff I like, and maybe also redo some of my old stuff.

Everybody be safe and well.  Wear your masks and mind your distance.  We can beat these little virus critters.  They don't even have anything even remotely resembling a brain.  All they do is latch onto cells for a free ride and reproduce.  There's just, apparently, a lot of them.

• Like 3

I have a few hex layers I've uploaded created on my PX560. It is a really powerful keyboard IMO-I think if you haven't already discovered-getting around all the functions on this will be alot easier than the WK-I owned the CTK-6200 to compare, not as full-featured as the WK7600 but the functions were very similar for recording multitracks, setting splits and layers-and balances-so much easier with the PX560. And it's a full synthesizer if you like to design your own tones and hex layers.

Not only can you load any .ac7 format auto-accompaniment arrangement, you can also load the older .ckf auto-arranger rhythms-I have a bunch of custom rhythms I uploaded here too-a little more complicated-but shows what the PX can do full throttle w/arranger rhythms.

I also created a cover of the old sci-fi rock arrangement of Telstar (now I am shamelessly bragging). I used the Ventures version as a model, not the original Joe Meek version which is a pretty amazing arrangement too very retro now, and is the original-I created entirely with the PX560-and played in real-time-I had to record each track through in one pass. It's uploaded around here somewhere as an mp3 on this forum-I was again trying to show off what this thing can sound like as an almost complete "workstation" It wasn't designed to be, but...you be the judge!  I updated to version 1.16-was a bug I discovered which only affected edited drumkits when used to record a multi-track-minor problem, problem solved courtesy of Mike Martin and Casio, A++ support in my book. And yes, be safe, beat those critters back into space......oops, there I go back to the mothership. Courtesy of George Clinton and the Funkadelics.

:spacecraft-1:

• Like 1

Thanks Jokeyman123!  From what I'm learning about the PX560 I would say that it is a formidable, "almost complete", workstation.  One of my 'subgoals' is to learn something new re the PX560 every time I sit down to play/practice on it, instead of just rambling more or less aimlessly -- even though the more or less aimless rambling often results in learning some new (for me) spiffy chord progression(s) or fingering(s) or whatever.   My main goal is to keep improving re playing, and to make at least 12 new (for me, that is) tunes using the PX560's capabilities (and also the WK7600's) during 2021.  One per month, more or less.

Yesterday I remembered to record a few minutes of more or less aimless rambling.  I noticed that there's a specific place on this website to upload stuff that's been done on various Casio keyboards.  I also notice that there's a mechanism for attaching files to posts in this thread.  I suppose there's a guideline on this, so next for me is to read up on it, and then upload accordingly.  Then will seek out your stuff that you said is "uploaded around here somewhere as an mp3 on this forum".  Is that this PX560 forum, or the upload forum?  No problem, I'll find out.

• Like 1

I meant that I attached the mp3 in one of my posts re the PX560 but i can't recall where exactly. we can attach files like that directly to our posts-or in the thread specifically for our arrangements/compositions. I post my ckf or ac7 rhythms in the section where we upload our tones-not sure if that was the right place to do it, but since these are smaller files-I thought it would be more appropriate to post there.

One trick I use alot now-since this group has become so comprehensive-i often can find info here by searching on Google or some other search engine. Sounds weird-but if I am very specific with my search-it usually takes me back here. I embarrassed myself-when I wanted to find out something about the XW-which is still a pretty deep machine IMO-and it found the answer-here-and it was my post, DUH!   Oh no!! Jokeyman on web!!I

Me need cookie!!!

image.jpeg.a6414ff1fc31a3716cbc9ae8c9c956c2.jpeg

• Like 1

Just search on "mp3" and you will find the posts for this. And thanks for your kind comments about my music-there are quite a few very talented people here-I have trouble with the creative part sometimes-I tend to be more technically oriented half the time-the covid pandemic gets to me sometimes-but music has always been a powerful way to communicate for me-but being a kind of "touchy" guy sometimes-I let stuff weigh me down, stop playing/writing-then I remember from Willy Wonka-"So shines a good deed in a weary world".

I wish I was more technically oriented.

Regarding being somewhat "touchy", that goes with being an artist, I think.  I myself am sensitive as sh*te.  But we can't let stuff weigh us down.  Who knows when we will come up with that tune or layered tone or phrasing or whatever that just makes our day, or our month or year even.  I should talk.  I took the better part of 20 years off from keyboard musical explorations.  Just had a bunch of other stuff to do.  No time.  BIG mistake.  Anyway, better late than never -- better to learn slowly than not at all.

Thanks for the search tip.  I did find a couple of the things you posted in the "post your own stuff" forum.  I will henceforth explore the PX560 forum as time permits.  Must break off from forums soon to massage my wonderful PX560 for a while.  I think I'm in love with this keyboard.  OK, maybe that's a bit much, but I definitely like it way more than any other musical instrument that I've ever played.

I just purchased used-it needed work-an Alesis Fusion 8HD but weighs over 50 pounds!-one of the most powerful workstations I've played-I've had a few.

Why the Fusion? I discovered-one of the Fusion's design development-actually in charge of design development I think-I won't say names, I believe it's someone here at Casio. I was impressed, saw common elements in both this and the PX560. Did alot of research first-can't afford to stockpile things I won't play. IMO this is one of those rare overlooked monster keyboards.

Comparing-huge refinements looking/ listening to the PX560-both have huge screens-560 color touchscreen, Fusion monochrome not touch-560 easier to work with. Weight-560 is half the weight of the Fusion 88 key. Keyboard-although the Fusion's keyboard is excellent for piano-is not triple-strike-not quite as realistic to play as the 560's piano-better sensitivity to dynamics on the 560 IMO. It does have aftertouch-almost unheard of in an 88 key piano action board.

No hex layers-can make multiple "mixes" and is very powerful in that regard-but definitely more complex. The entire OS on the 560 is faster to get around, but then the Fusion is a 25 year old board-I was just struck by its unique design-and wanting the ability to compare it to the 560-which is really my "benchmark" keyboard. Even my dear friend Robby (RobeOne on Facebook) has a Casio XW-P1 sitting on top of his Oasys, Mellotron and a bunch of other very unusual and collectible pieces-who introduced me as his drummer to alot of this technology in the late 1960s-with dual Hammonds, dual Leslies, and any effect he could come up with in our first band "Blue Angel"-covered ELP,  Santana, a few Yes tracks on gigs back then. That carries alot of weight with me, that he would go for a Casio, he is a seasoned experienced keyboard/piano guru, love you Robby.

Sitting with my vintage Generalmusic Equinox, TS-12 and SY77-the 560 covers a remarkable bit of sonic and playable ground.  Just plain fun to work with IMO.  I can carry it anywhere-I would definitely take the 560 out, just on the pianos alone. Maybe add the Equinox-has killer organ options, drawbars, years ahead of the Nords or anyone else-like the XW, MZ-X and CTK/WK drawbar organs

People complain about Casio's design decisions-unlike Ensoniq, Generalmusic, Peavey and a few others I forget-they are still in the keyboard/music business-no business, no support for us. Even Alesis pretty much abandoned the Fusion, causing great difficulities for those who sunk their time/money/effort into these originally-only the true keyboard gurus in their user groups keep it alive. Why this forum is such a powerful one to me-all Yahoo groups are gone too-with their content. Huge database of groups-Zoom, Fostex, Korg, Roland, Yamaha there was a CZ yahoo group-gone forever. Why i get my back up if i think this group is going to useless bickering, whining, spam etc. but that's me. And it isn't going there-our moderators here, and chief in charge MM,  say no more, say no more!!!!

say no more.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for your informative reply Jokeyman123.  I enjoyed reading it.  Sounds like you have quite a collection of musical instruments.  Spanning decades.  Have fun with your latest acquisition.  I used to acquire, 'fix' or try to, and warehouse, all sorts of musical stuff from violins, horns, banjos, guitars, even a small harp, etc. to ... whatever.  But these days I just want to keep things simple.  The only instruments in the house, except for a few guitars, are the WK7600 and the PX560, and they should keep me busy enough for a year or two.

Regarding bickering, whining, spam, complaining, etc., I haven't encountered any on CasioMusicForums so far.  Maybe the occasional suggestion of a desired modification or whatever.  But that can be constructive.  I guess that means that, as you mentioned, the people who run CasioMusicForums are doing a good job in keeping things organized, civil, on point, and helpful.  It also helps that there are, quite a few knowledgeable and conscientious users, such as yourself, who regularly post insightful and informative stuff here.  Anyway, I try to avoid complainers.

Must get to practicing on my fantastic PX560 soon today.  Next recording step is to do some multitrack stuff on the sequencer, then record audio, and maybe post to this forums.  Slept late because of playing tennis last night.  (I'm in Florida)  Still recovering.  hahahaa

• 2 months later...

Thanks Dan-been a little busy restoring 2 old Fusion workstations-took me away from my Casios for a good month or so-these needed alot of studying and restoration. whew what beasts!

I have parts written out for "Green Onions"-another dinosaur instrumental piece that seems simple, but I've discovered-the subtle variations as he plays through the organ lead lines-as simple as these sound-are tricky to get just right-and debating whether to try to get the guitar stabs with the 560, or simply record the guitar part-either way, hard to capture the exact tonalities of these old pieces-challenging-and what distinguished these tracks back then. and sometimes it is harder to play 3-4 notes just right, than a flurry of 16ths!