Video Files on Forum ×

Does PX-870 have audio inputs? Plus, delays when playing Chordana sounds via MIDI?

Rustyguy

Hi Brad / All

I am a new PX-870 owner and I want to play exterrnal midi tones beyond what is stored on the keyboard (e.g. those on Chordana) through the PX-870 keyboard's speakers.

I have successfully connected the Casio Chordana app via Android and can control the keyboard fully (much easier that using function keys).

However when I select the built in Chordana tones in the App (e.g. drums, Tub, large range of tones) they only come out of my phone speakers.

How do I connect keyboard so that it plays these tones through the keyboard speakers ?

The Chordana instructions  (see last page before bluetooth) say I need to connect to connect to the Keyboards "Audio In" using a 3.5mm Jack, yet the keyboard seems to have no such jack.  I find no mention of an "Audio In jack" in the product specification and  your response above indicates there is none.

Surely this new "Flagship" must be able to do something so seemingly basic?   

According to the 870's specification it has MIDI "16 channel multi timbre receive, so if the Audio In approach does not work, is it possible to get some sort of adapter, so the audio signal coming from the phone/midi player can be fed in via Midi.

I'd be really grateful for a solution to this issue.

Thanks 

Russell

Thanks Brad, this is disappointing.    It sounds like I'll have to listen through headphones or connect an amp & speakers

That said is the PX870's MIDI interface really designed for it to be used as a MIDI controller ?

I discovered last night that if I use the keyboard to play selected tones from the Chordan Apps tone library on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8  there is a significant delay between pressing a key and hearing the tone.    What is the cause of this delay - the Android device speed, the App or the Keyboard's midi implementation ?   

If I use a different App, a PC  or some other device, will I get a fast response, enabling me to play tones from other VST libraries without this delay ?    

Thanks

Russell

PS I am just learning the tecnhical terms of midi so hopefully this all makes sense.

The delay is called latency, and is a result of the audio processing capabilities of the device generating the sound, your Android device in this case.  Some devices are better than others at it.  If Bluetooth is used as the audio monitoring connection, tlatency can be even greater.  Windows PCs can also suffer from latency, caused the audio driver, which is why many of us install a low latency audio driver on Windows.  The keyboard itself, or the USB connection, is not part of the issue.  It is totally related to the audio processing capabilities of the device producing the sound.   

Thanks Brad,

Looks like I need to spend some more money.

Is there a website, where compatible devices for wired USB connection are listed?

Do you or does anybody on this forum have any tips from own experience on which devices work with the PX-870, in terms of accepatable latency ?

Thanks