Video Files on Forum ×

How to create Fill-In with final crash on personal styles rhytms

mariusvideo

Hi all,

I know how to create a personal style/rythm but

I'd like to add Fill-In with final crash on personal styles rhytms that plays at the start point of the next bar of rythm variations.

This is an example: Variation1 - Fill-In ->  Crash drum a starting point of-> Variation 1

Thank You for help.

I think you probably realize that a Fill-in ends at the end of one measure, before the Variation starts again in the following measure, and there is no way to make the FIll-in "overlap" into the beginning of the Variation.  And I assume you only want to hear the "crash" in the Variation when it is directly preceded by a Fill-in.

The only way I can think of making the keyboard do that is by creating a non-repeating, measure-synchronized Phrase Pad with the crash on the downbeat (beat 1).  Then when you are playing you would have to hit not only the Fill-in button, but then also the Phrase button, in that measure where you want to start the Fill-in.  That would start the Fill-in, and the Phrase would be synchronized to start with the next measure (when the Variation starts again).  Of course, having to hit two buttons definitely makes it trickier.

I think it might depend on the specific drum sound being played; a crash cymbal will continue in the next variation. So you could just record it fractionally before the end of the Fill, and the human ear will hear it coming on the beat at the start of the Variation. Quantisation will definitely need to be OFF for you to record in this way.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mariusvideo said:

Surely impossible to do :)

At full speed, yes. But you don't have to record all in one go, and all at one speed. This is 2021, we have the wonders of science and technology at our disposal.

Record all the other parts of the drum fill at normal speed, then when you're ready to put the crash cymbal in, turn off quantization and lower the tempo as low as it will possibly go. Then, in a second pass, wait until the very end of the fill (as late as you possibly can), and play the crash cymbal at the last possible moment. It'll be easier because the recording tempo is so slow, giving you more time to sneak in the crash cymbal right at the very end.

At full speed, having the crash cymbal play one millisecond before beat 1 and having the crash cymbal play exactly on beat 1 will sound exactly the same to the audience. If somebody hassles you for being .00001% too early, expose them for being a robot and report them to the authorities immediately. Cyborgs must be eliminated at all costs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Chandler Holloway said:

At full speed, yes. But you don't have to record all in one go, and all at one speed. This is 2021, we have the wonders of science and technology at our disposal.

Record all the other parts of the drum fill at normal speed, then when you're ready to put the crash cymbal in, turn off quantization and lower the tempo as low as it will possibly go. Then, in a second pass, wait until the very end of the fill (as late as you possibly can), and play the crash cymbal at the last possible moment. It'll be easier because the recording tempo is so slow, giving you more time to sneak in the crash cymbal right at the very end.

At full speed, having the crash cymbal play one millisecond before beat 1 and having the crash cymbal play exactly on beat 1 will sound exactly the same to the audience. If somebody hassles you for being .00001% too early, expose them for being a robot and report them to the authorities immediately. Cyborgs must be eliminated at all costs.

I can try to do but I think is not a "standard" method for a keyboard called workstation...I think should be easy to do, at the end I don't ask more than to create a style like the presets in the ct-x3000. One idea should be that Casio creates a software to build the rhytms on a PC.

Thank You for answer

This is how the preset fill-ins are programmed, so in effect, you would be creating a style like the presets. Any preset fill with a crash that seems to occur on the downbeat of the next variation is programmed with the crash occurring on the final tick (the smallest possible unit of time in a MIDI sequence) of the fill. You can record the MIDI output of the accompaniment yourself if you want to verify that the timing is as I have described.

Casio does have a software converter that allows you to convert MIDI sequences to Rhythm styles. I wrote a reference manual on how to use it if you want to read up on it. In whatever software you’re using to edit your MIDI sequence before conversion, it should be easy for you to place a crash on the last possible tick of the measure that will become the fill-in of your finished Rhythm style.

I would also point out that Casio did not market or design the CT-X3000/5000 as workstations. They are high-quality portable keyboards with some limited arranger features. They offer amazing sound quality and great value for money, but they're not equipped to fill the role of a fully featured workstation. I would point you towards the MZ-X500 if you want a true Casio workstation, but that’s a fair bit pricier to match the more robust feature set.

5 hours ago, Chandler Holloway said:

This is how the preset fill-ins are programmed, so in effect, you would be creating a style like the presets. Any preset fill with a crash that seems to occur on the downbeat of the next variation is programmed with the crash occurring on the final tick (the smallest possible unit of time in a MIDI sequence) of the fill. You can record the MIDI output of the accompaniment yourself if you want to verify that the timing is as I have described.

Casio does have a software converter that allows you to convert MIDI sequences to Rhythm styles. I wrote a reference manual on how to use it if you want to read up on it. In whatever software you’re using to edit your MIDI sequence before conversion, it should be easy for you to place a crash on the last possible tick of the measure that will become the fill-in of your finished Rhythm style.

I would also point out that Casio did not market or design the CT-X3000/5000 as workstations. They are high-quality portable keyboards with some limited arranger features. They offer amazing sound quality and great value for money, but without MIDI ports, sample import, a fully-featured synth engine or the ability to record audio with the onboard controls, I’m not sure where you got the idea that this is a workstation. I would point you towards the MZ-X500 if you want a true Casio workstation, but that’s a fair bit pricier to match the more robust feature set.

I have tried to hit the crash on the final tick disabling the quantization during recording and has finally worked :)

Right is not called Workstation, surely the ct-x3000 offers a lot of features than other models and brands that are near to a workstation, specially for multitrack recording section (and editing like copy, paste, cut, quantize, advanced event editing etc), this is the first reason I have choosed It, the second is the sounds quality really high for this price range, I love pianos, strings and drum kits (and the possibility to edit and personalize sounds).

Thank You!

• Like 1