Video Files on Forum ×

New MIDI host box-for keys that do not have midi DIN

Can't post a direct link here, but found on e***, and on Ama*** for the same price 49.00 USD. I found a listing for a new MIDI DIN host box-like the Kenton, from Taiwan. It is simple labeled "DOREMidi", dumb name but who cares! Don't have one (yet) and I have a Midiplus hostbox-but might go for this one too, as it costs less than half the price of the Kenton, looks very well-made, metal box. probably identical inside to the Midiplus which runs a little more money than this one, usually around 70+ USD but also very well-made box, works well. Might pick this up just as a spare-for my older MIDI DIN tone modules and keyboards, these are now a pretty affordable solution IMO-I kept away from the Kenton as it usually runs 129.00 US and for basic midi functions probably not much different.  And since so many Casios-and others-are eliminating these much less interference-prone DIN midi connections, the host boxes are definitely invaluable if you are doing any midi communications/connections outside your computer and do not have midi din connectors.

Many of the newer Privias and other digital pianos now have strictly USB midi out connectors which is fine for DAW work directly to a computer-but if you work with multiple keyboards and modules, the DIN interfaces on other equipment will be less prone to data errors and radio interference and ground loops/hum if you connect with one of these host boxes. Speaking from experience. And stay away from those cheap Chinese USB/midi adapter cables if you need to connect your computer DAW to a midi din device-I and many others have had nothing but trouble with these. if you having trouble with your software to keyboard functions-look at your adapter cable first!!!

doremidi.jpg

• Like 2