Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S started outputting random/inconsistent Mod Wheel CC

John Krogh

Hi all.

I've had my PX-5S for a several years and it's worked great. However, in the past couple of weeks, I noticed the mod wheel wasn't sending smooth, consistent messages, especially in the lower range. For example, when opening the mod wheel (increasing the amount of CC1), the amount of CC would fluctuate. This was a minor annoyance that I thought I could get around by assigning one of the sliders to CC1. 

This worked for about a week, but now the slider is sending random CC1 messages as I'm operating the slider. 

Has anyone else had issues with Mod Wheel (or other CCs) starting to "fail"? Perhaps a known problem?

Thanks for any insights!

Hi Brad.

Thanks for the reply.

I use the wheel almost every day, multiple times a day, and I've never gigged with the keyboard. It's been in my studio for the past 3+ years, so a clean environment.

Also, there are issues with CC1 when I assign it to one of the sliders, so I don't know that the issue is necessarily specific to the Mod Wheel, but it could be.

I'm a Logic Pro user, and in Logic, the transport will show incoming MIDI data. I can see that small changes in CC1 are being sent when I'm not operating either the Mod Wheel or the slider I've assigned to CC1. However, it isn't constant, it's sporadic. 

The PX-5S is the only keyboard I have connected to the computer, so the data couldn't be sent from another device.

Other thoughts?