Video Files on Forum ×

New MZ-X500 Touch Screen Response Issues

Random_Vibration

Just purchased a MZ-X500.  Was excited to own one but had concerns due to some of the problems reported here.  Since I also own a Privia PX-560M and it's been flawless for my purposes, I decided to give it a go.  

The unit I recieved isn't very bad but not up to the expectations formed by the PX-560 ownership experience.  The screen has two issues. The left side of the screen has a more yellow tint than the right side.  This is not a huge deal for me.  The bigger problem is it would appear that the touch screen doesn't work as well as the one on my PX-560.  Sometimes, I feel I need to press items more than once to get those touches to register and I don't know if I'm hitting the sweet spot for some touches to register.  It could be a system response issue or a calibration issue. 

Before I set the machinery in place to return this unit, I would like to try to recalibrate it.  The facilities to do so exists for the PX-560 but I don't know how to do that on the MZ-X500.  I know about the other topic on this subject but I didn't want to piggyback on someone else's problem since my circumstances are not identical.  Also, the relevant information that would actually help was removed from the post.

Any insights on trying the calibration would be appreciated.  I already know I can send it in for repair or return it.  Exchanging it could just get me another unit with similar or worse issues than the one I have now.  If send it anywhere, I probably will sent it back to the seller and swap it out for a Yamaha.  I'd rather keep the MZ-X500 but I don't feel like playing keyboard lotto and shipping games.  Also, I prefer not to return an item if there is a simple adjustment that can be made to the device or its use.

50+ views and no responses.  I will contact Casio support before throwing in the towel.  Keep finding little glitches.  Press the button for Organ tones,  none of the drawbar organ tones show up.  Power cycle the keyboard and they are back.  I think this unit is defective or they all are buggy.  I don't know which is true because no owners respond.

I can't comment on calibration.  I don't know anything about that.  I only know what you know, that some users on the forum figured out how to do it on the 560.  I do know the screen should not be different from your PX-560.  My MZ screen responds perfectly.  As far as the organ button, the button cycles through organ sub-categories each time you press it.  Only the VTW organ tones use the sliders.  If you're not able to reach the VTW tones at all, that would be the first time I've heard of that issue.  

• Thanks 3

Thanks for the response.

I have the information but haven't used it yet because surely it will raise discussions about warranty.  

The area of the screen that seems resistant to touch is only the top area.  Looking at the attached image, if you wanted to select Track Edit, good luck.  You'll press it multiple times before that press registers unless you press the lower half of that white rectangle surrounding the text "Track Edit".  

If the organ glitch returns, I will take a picture of that as well if I still have the MZ-X500.  As much as want to keep it and I want to keep it badly, I'm not sure it's commonalities in interface with my current PX-560 are worth it if I have to deal touch register issues.  I am research my alternatives if I must return it.  

20210127_170259.jpg

That could be it...I can't not be certain it was set to upper 1.  I don't do alot of splits and layers.  My playing is usually limited to full keyboard, no layers or splits and usually on the PX-560.  The MZ-X500 is more of a creativity tool and something to burn time with.  I would think I would've gone to upper 1 because I use it almost exclusively but maybe I didn't.  Good catch.  It could be that.