Video Files on Forum ×

Broken function button? Privia PX-150

David733

I recently purchased a used Casio Privia PX-150 in very good condition. Everything appears to work, except the very useful function button! I hold it down, press a key on the keyboard, and nothing happens except a note sounds as usual.

The physical action of the function button feels the same as the other small buttons. 

Any ideas?

In other words, you cannot do much of anything-since the function button and individual keyboard key-presses select almost all the adjustments on the PX150. Is  that correct? For example-to select a tone besides the grand piano/electric piano with the dedicated buttons, you have to hold the function button down while you press a keyboard key to select one of the other tones, and this isn't working? You might try-with an eye-dropper, cotton swab or pipe cleaner to get a little bit of isopropyl alcohol into that key-clean it off the surrounding case although dilute rubbing alcohol won't do any harm to the plastic if you clean it off right away-and work the key while the alcohol is in there-just a drop or 2 could do it. If there is contamination in the switch underneath-this might work....but the other possibility-since this is used, and the function button might have gotten a real workout from the prior owner, since it used for so many functions-it could have failed internally, or cracked the solder connections it is connected to on the IC board inside-a common problem with these push-button switches if abused or used with a heavy hand, which means either a DIY project if you are experienced with this, or any good electronic technician should be able to repair this, if it just a broken switch, which it probably is. If it was a software problem, you would most likely have a bunch of other malfunctions going on too. Hope this helps.

10 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

In other words, you cannot do much of anything-since the function button and individual keyboard key-presses select almost all the adjustments on the PX150. Is  that correct? For example-to select a tone besides the grand piano/electric piano with the dedicated buttons, you have to hold the function button down while you press a keyboard key to select one of the other tones, and this isn't working? You might try-with an eye-dropper, cotton swab or pipe cleaner to get a little bit of isopropyl alcohol into that key-clean it off the surrounding case although dilute rubbing alcohol won't do any harm to the plastic if you clean it off right away-and work the key while the alcohol is in there-just a drop or 2 could do it. If there is contamination in the switch underneath-this might work....but the other possibility-since this is used, and the function button might have gotten a real workout from the prior owner, since it used for so many functions-it could have failed internally, or cracked the solder connections it is connected to on the IC board inside-a common problem with these push-button switches if abused or used with a heavy hand, which means either a DIY project if you are experienced with this, or any good electronic technician should be able to repair this, if it just a broken switch, which it probably is. If it was a software problem, you would most likely have a bunch of other malfunctions going on too. Hope this helps.

I think Jokeyman means "button" when he says to clean the "key." They keys seem to work fine, but the Function button doesn't.

Sorry Joe-right-I meant this specific button, not a key. Been a little off with this pandemic.  And this model-using individual keys to negotiate functions-if David can't fix this button, is there an alternate way to access these functions-I didn't study the entire manual but i will look it over again. And David, you do have a manual I assume. Here it is if you don't...

px150.pdf

• Like 2

Thank you both for the assistance and suggestions. I will try working the button with some rubbing alcohol. I'm experienced with electrical work, have a soldering iron, but not much experience with component level changes on a board of small dense connections. In any case I probably will open it up to take a look if this doesn't work. I'll update this thread.

As I said, everything else, keys, buttons, work marvelously, and the condition appears to be consistent with the previous owner's assertion that it was rarely used. The tiny function button would probably be the most used button, as it's required for so much. I don't think there's any way around using it. Thanks for the manual.

• Like 1