Video Files on Forum ×

Help understanding string resonance effects

Hey everyone,

I was playing with the string resonance settings on my DP (px-870) and I was wondering if anyone knows how it works.  I get the concept.  When we play notes or cords that resonate with the strings of other keys, you hear the overtones of the other keys.  However, I honestly can not hear the difference between the different settings  (suppressed, slightly suppressed, reverberation, strong reverberation)  I saw some videos on youtube about the implementation in other brands (Y brand) of DPs where you have to depress the keys  which will resonate, leave them like that to simulate the absence of the damper, and then play the notes which will make the original keys (undampened strings) resonate.  Does anyone know if this is also how Casio implemented sting resonance?  I've tried all sorts of things but I can never hear a difference.

I'm assuming it's the same on all Casios, or at least Privias.  Hopefully this isn't a model specific question :)

TIA if anyone else has also explored this and would like to share!  

49 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Yes.  I hear it.  It is easy to confuse with reverb, but it's definitely not the same.  

ok, I tried again on my DP and I got it now!  That's so cool!  :)

It's pretty obvious on "strong reverberation" setting.  My mistake when trying it was not letting off the key I was using to set off the resonance.  I could even hear it in the video after hearing it on my DP and knowing what to listen for.  Man, I was getting worried there that all those rock concerts from my youth had messed up my hearing so much I wouldn't be able to hear the cool piano nuances.  

Thanks again!

• Like 1