Video Files on Forum ×

Organ foot pedals on WK-7600?

stuntie

Hi, I have a WK-7600 and love the organ drawbars.

Is it possible to connect a MIDI Organ foot pedal board like the Studiologic MP-117, or Roland PK-9, organ foot pedalboards?

I see a Midi chart at the back, but no Midi connector.
Does Midi use the USB connector? Or is the only Midi possible the single Piano pedal plug?

Stuntie
WK-7600 owner.

• 4 weeks later...

I do no believe that you can connect another keyboard or keyboard controller directly to a USB-only MIDI unit, such as the WK-7600.  That would include your organ pedals.

I see it as new MIDI vs. old MIDI.  The old 5-pin DIN connector was actually intended to interconnect MIDI equipment and only later was also used to connnect to a  computer, usually using some sort of interface device or even using a Joystick port; something that is also obsolete.  New MIDI is very compatible with computers but not with other equipment.  I have a MIDIMan USB to MIDI converter box but it also has the square connector and hence, like the WK 7600, only wants to see a computer at the other end.

I hope that I'm wrong about this, as I have a Yamaha KX-8 88 key weighted controller and would love to connect for better piano work.  Does not appear to be likely either.  Same problem as your pedal keyboard.  Would love to hear that I am mistaken.

There are a number of posts here describing how to use a midi host box to connect and translate your USB midi out connector to a 5-pin midi din connector in. Search for midi host box right here, and you will find what you need to know. I use the Midiplus host box, there is a new brand I haven't tried called "DeReMidi" which looks pretty nice. The Kenton midi host  is way more money but serves the same purpose.

13 Note MIDI Pedalboard with Built-in Sounds

Model XPK-130G

1944973126__57.JPG.a1d8910f970b7b474fcbf27baec0bbc4.JPG

Hammond makes these pedals available.   They have 5 pin MIDI Din in and out as well as 5 built in bass tones that can be fed to your amplifier with a direct audio output.

They can be found at most online music stores and a bit pricey but if you shop around you can find some great prices.

How fun would this be to kick your own bass!

• Like 1

Waas just listening to my old "Young Rascals" vinyl-Felix Cavaliere used his Hammond pedals as the group's bass player. Good example. also just dug out a great Elektra vinyl from 1982-George Benson, Grady Tate, Stanley Turrentine, Ron Carter and Jimmy Smith called "Over the Top"

I worked with a trio down in Newark in he clubs years back right after the riots, what a sorry sight but the clubs were open. Little guy named Rich McCrea on Hammond-my G*** he could dance on the Hmmond pedals, never heard anything like it and was listening to all the great Hammond players back then. That's when i realized how close 2-hand, 2-foot playing was alot like good drumming, watching him play. Was every bit as good as Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff, all the great classic jazz Hammond players-and you never heard him, unless you were there in the 70's in those clubs. Also met the great jazz singer Joe Williams, and went to visit George Benson-but he wasn't home-they were showing me the ropes as a kid with all these great players in this neighborood, what a memorable experience. You might have heard of the reed guy I worked with though-Houston Person. I was a kid, I had no idea who he was until much later. He had 4 different woodwind instruments on stage. 2 saxes, a flute and clarinet, and played all of them-well. They fired me after 4-5 gigs because I didn't have a union card when the union guy came in....-h** I was 17, I didn't know there was such a thing-until I worked with them. Wow were they Pee-ode! 

I would never take the pedal board for the Hammond out to a gig so I never got very good on bass.  When the organ was home, I would hook up the pedals.   In fact at home with the 200 watt amp powering the Leslie, I kid you not, the bass notes would rattle the aluminum siding on the house!    You could watch the glass in the patio doors vibrate,

As you note, there are some extremely talented people out there that can really play.    I never heard of  Houston Person but he might have been a regional talent.   One of the music stores that sell these Hammond pedal boards had a user note.   This guy's group had trouble keeping bass players.   He wrote that after the last gig the band played without a bass player, they bought one of these Hammond pedal boards.   The guitarist was able to stomp the bass pedals while playing guitar.   Problem solved.    

Around here if the union caught you playing after you've been warned to stop, they would start breaking fingers.   Granted this was 40 years ago but the message was clear.   The unions were looking for the bands playing long term gigs like night clubs, dance clubs etc. and were collecting weekly pay for playing.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Person

And I was a snot-nosed kid, I didn't know who he was-but was a tough bandleader with me at least, for the few gigs I did.  They also took me to a club to see Etta James, another one I had no idea who she was either. Cr** had I been in the union back then-but was playing in some pretty tough clubs. When you're young-you think you're immortal!  And yes as a trio, Rich didn't need a bass player for these gigs through a Leslie. I tried looking him up now, but couldn't find anything about Rich McCrea. But after 40+ years I still remember his name, tells me how much respect I had for his playing, even as a dumb kid on my drums. 

After I posted about Houson Person, I went and Googled him which I should have done before posting.  I never followed jazz and that is why his name didn't register with me..  The only one I could find  about Rich McCrea was the guy who (founded?)  the group Cake.   I don't think it's the same guy however.  

I've gone to pipe organ concerts and some of those musicians who perform the classical organ pieces can certainly play pedals as well.   I've watched players with MIDI guitars and play through a Roland MIDI box.   Just incredible with what you can do with some of the equipment that's available today.   

• 9 months later...