Video Files on Forum ×

User Piano tones and stage settings; new samples?

gruuvinrob

Is there such a thing as any actual new piano samples that can be added to this keyboard?

I am new to this board, and I am really thrilled with all the discovery of sounds. There are so many user-created sounds in the downloads section.

I have just downloaded a few dozen Piano stage settings with promising names, such as Steinway D, or 9 ft. Grand, etc. I mostly understand the whole concept of what is a tone vs a stage setting: where a tone (or hex layer, etc) is a fundamental sound building block, and a stage setting is a callable setup, which is a collection of up to four tones, and all parameters and settings, etc.)

I am beginning to believe that every user-created acoustic piano sound is not really based on a NEW tone, or newly sampled tone, but is simply sourced from a tone that was already present in the PX-5S, with its parameters just tweaked, like EQ, attack, release, etc. Because, after downloading dozens of acoustic pianos from all different users, including MM, I hear the same pianos I already have in this board, most with just EQ tweaks and other very minor changes.

In addition, I am astounded that every Stage Setting contains all tones/parameters/settings, etc., in only 12kB of data.... every one! That tells me that these tones are not samples AT ALL, but that this is a keyboard that synthesizes a piano sound, which would explain why every piano sound I download basically sounds the same, because they are ALL synthesized by the same engine (the AiR processor). Am I on the right track here?

What is the source of these piano sounds? samples? the synthesizer? Or is it just not samples but a LOT more complicated than that?

Thanks! :)

Yes, it is more complicated than that.  It is a sample based instrument, however most piano tones use a combination of samples and modeling, which generates string and damper resonance sounds in real time with samples as the base.

'Tone' is a specific term in Casio language. A tone is all of the things that make up the final preset or user sound you hear, including all of the effect, filter, LFO, envelope parameters, and more, that shape the final sound you hear.

So the short answer is no, the factory samples do not change.  However, the ability to combine and shape those samples in new ways can lead to some unique new timbres. The power to change things in the PX-5S can make the original samples totally unrecognizable.   

• Like 1