Video Files on Forum ×

what's up with my PX-s3000 making loud backround noises plugged into my DAW

Dan Astro

tried 3 different cables from both the analog outputs and plugged it into different outlets on separate breakers with the same results, it is making the backround noise just with the cable plugged in, like a ground or frequency noise and it is so loud  at the lowest settings of my system it's unusable. Everything else is clean, mic's, guitars, just this keyboard is effected.

12 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Can you attach a short audio clip of it?  Do you have USB connected?  Which type of audio cables are you using?  

Hey Brad, yes the usb is working in the Daw fine for midi, I'm using the same 1/4 instrument cables I been using over the years for all my keyboards, guitar cables.

10 minutes ago, Dan Astro said:

Hey Brad, yes the usb is working in the Daw fine for midi, I'm using the same 1/4 instrument cables I been using over the years for all my keyboards, guitar cables. Oh and the noise level with everything turned down, the interface, the daw and the keyboard is making the volume level read out on the track  light up 2 bars and pulsate up and down........ Tried unplugging the USB still making the noise

13 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

USB can cause a ground loop noise, but it shouldn't be a very loud noise.  I would disconnect that first and see what happens.  The keyboard is equipped with unbalanced 1/4 inch jacks, so TS cables should be fine.  If you can attach some photos that might help us spot the issue.  

I just plugged it into my JBL powered PA and it's still doing it, that baby is dead quiet with everything I've used with it, oh and I've tried it w/o a usb connection also, no luck

3 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

That is very odd.  Are the PA speakers grounded?  They usually are and have a ground lift button.  Have you tried that?  

no gounding options on the PA, I tried it on battery power then I took the rechargeable batteries out, disconnected both the expression and the damping pedal assembly . no software solutions ? how do you do a factory reset? can you think of a setting that might cause this?

14 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

I'm pretty familiar with different types of noise.  I might be able to pinpoint it better with an audio clip.  Are you saying the noise is still present on battery power?  How about battery power and nothing connected at all, just the internal speakers and headphones connected?  

no backround noise while playing stand alone on plug in or battery power or connected only with the USB recording MIDI to the DAW, it's just when I plug in a analog cable attached to my audio interface,  it  makes this noise even with the power cable disconnected and no batteries in it.

Mixdown(2).wav

16 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Okay, that clip rules out 60 cycle electrical noise.  That noise is computer noise, USB ground loop noise.  The interface is a USB interface?  A USB ground loop isolator might help solve it.

if that was the case why is it making the same noise when I'm plugged into my JPL PA with only a 1/4 unbalanced cord ?

No something is VERY wrong with this board, bummer for me I'm in Hawaii.

I wouldn't give up yet.  Was anything other than the keyboard connected to those speakers when testing?  I know some speakers have multiple inputs. Was the noise the same type in that test?  The clip you posted is definitely computer related noise, which can also be cellular noise.  Do you have a cell phone, other radio based mobile device or computer near the keyboard when plugged directly into the speakers?  It is unlikely the keyboard itself is causing since it is quiet when used standalone.  It is just a matter of finding the interference.  Have you used the bluetooth audio feature on the S3000? 

5 hours ago, IanB said:

Just to get this clear, are you saying it makes the noise when plugged into your JBL PA while the keyboard is running on battery power with no mains connection?

I checked it  plugged into house outlet and it makes the noise when it's plugged in only with the 1/4 unbalanced cable. I'm going to turn off all the computers and wifi and check it out and test it with the PA under battery power.

All your input is greatly appreciated I will post my results

Howdy. I had a USB hum (may have been hiss, I don't recall) in my signal path and eliminated it by trial and error, by using a powered USB hub for some components, and plugging others directly into the PC. It was a little frustrating, since I see no rhyme or reason for a USB noise, but I was able to solve it as indicated.

• Like 1

The rhyme or reason for USB noise is down to electronics. USB connects digital equipment which generate lots of switching noise- including from their own switch mode power supplies- but has no ground isolation, so even a very tiny resistance on the ground path can leak that noise into the audio signal path. The average PC generates a hellishly noisy ground in particular. So finding a solution is often trial and error. As some of us have often ranted on this forum, the original MIDI specification was explicitly designed to not connect the equipment electrically to avoid this very problem.

USB has expanded far beyond its original remit of connecting desktop components such as keyboards and mice, and while it gets faster and faster the standards body have never addressed this noise issue which affects audio equipment connected via USB. Now that everything runs off cheapo switched mode power supplies it makes matters even worse. My Lenovo tablet for instance is useless for audio when connected via its charger because of the noise level.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with my DAW setup. I was getting a noise that sounded a lot like yours, and I posted a question about it on another forum -- don't recall which one it was now. One of the members there recommended that I run a cable from my audio interface's input to a guitar amp input. The amp didn't even need to be on, it just needed to have a grounded 3-prong power cable that was plugged into a grounded source. So it became an external ground for my setup. I gave it a try and it killed the noise problem. Doing this was a way of grounding the interface without having to jump through more complex and unnecessary grounding hoops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1