Video Files on Forum ×

How do I record background accompaniment from Playground Sessions.

I would like to combine the accompaniment from PGS and my keyboard playing and record it either as a midi or audio file. I have successfully recorded the PGS music as a wave file onto a USB thumb drive. I then put the USD stick into the port on the keyboard and go to the midi load function under "sampling" and it finds the file and then press "execute" but a window pops up and says it is "Wrong Data". I have also tried to play the file though the Audio menu item and when I try to play it, it also says "Wrong Data". Any suggestions?

Thank-you very much. I decided to convert the wave file to an MP3 format using VLC Media Player and now it works!

Next question, how do I combine my keyboard playing along with the accompaniment and record it? I tried to download the mp3 file from the flash drive using the Media tab to the keyboard's memory but it does not see the file.

Is it because the file needs to be converted to SMF format? What is the best way to do that?

You will need to use your computer for what you are doing.  Quite a few methods can be used. 

Since you already have the file ready to play on the keyboard itself, you can connect the keyboard line outputs or headphones out to your computer if your computer has an audio/line in jack, then simply record your performance using software like Audacity. 

Alternatively, you can use the computer to play your PGS audio and record your performance with the MZX audio recorder. Simply connect the computer headphone out to your MZX line in. 

A third method with no need for cables, play the PGS audio on your computer, and while monitoring that, you can record your performance on the MZX audio recorder.  Remove the flash drive and copy that audio file to your computer.  You can drop the MZX and PGS files into Audacity as separate tracks, sync them, mix the levels, and export everything as a complete song.  

I wanted to let you know that I have tried the 2nd option. I can hear the PGS audio coming out of my computer and into the keyboard and my performance through my headphones connected to the MZX but the MZX audio recorder only captures and records my keyboard play to the USB flash drive. It does not capture the PGS audio that comes in through the MZX audio-in connection.

Any thoughts?

@Brad Saucier I got the cables today to connect from my Surface Go headphones port to my keyboards 1/4" L&R input ports. And as you would expect I am now able to play along with the PGS software accompaniment and record both sounds to the flash drive attached to my keyboard.

Thank you so much for your great support!

• Like 1