Video Files on Forum ×

160 midi playback can’t switch sounds

So, thank you in advance. I bought a 160, and I have some previously recorded midi tracks that I want to run back thru the Privia to record the Privia sounds. 
but, when I change the sound of the keyboard, the midi playback is the same tone every time (even though if I play a key on the keyboard, it plays the correct tone)

ive noticed that if I send to midi channel 2, it plays the strings for some reason, but I can’t change that tone either. I’ve tried other channels but they’re all just the same piano tone. Please help me use previously recorded midi files to play back the tone of my choice ❤️ I tried googling but can’t find anything about this, I’ve never run into this with any keyboard before. 
Thank you! 

In other news, channel 3 appears to play a pizzicato string sound that I literally can’t find on the keyboard. So there’s that. 
*and now* 

ive figured out that if you just play the demo, you can get the sound to change while the demo is playing, but THE DEMO OF COURSE IS PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND🤦‍♂️ And if you stop the demo then the sound just revers to “bright piano” so that’s just fun

The sound engine on the PX-160 has a dedicated section for MIDI IN, which cannot be accessed on the keyboard itself.  Everything will need to be controlled by MIDI.  MIDI is designed to control tone selection, in addition to playing the notes.  You'll want to send bank and program change data to the keyboard to do that.  The user manual has an appendix section with a tone chart which shows the data needed to select each tone.  

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

The sound engine on the PX-160 has a dedicated section for MIDI IN, which cannot be accessed on the keyboard itself.  Everything will need to be controlled by MIDI.  MIDI is designed to control tone selection, in addition to playing the notes.  You'll want to send bank and program change data to the keyboard to do that.  The user manual has an appendix section with a tone chart which shows the data needed to select each tone.  

Ugh, that’s more work then other keyboards I own, but at least there’s a solution. I have the manual but failed to see that part? Thanks! 🙏

On 3/23/2021 at 6:13 PM, Brad Saucier said:

What is the name of the specific control data I need to access, and can I do it via daw or do I need some keyboard specific software?