Can I control the CDP S100 with a MIDI sequencer like the SQ64?

Smokey_Mkii

Hi all :)

Fairly straightforward question. I'm new to MIDI but I'm hopefully getting a Korg SQ64 sequencer and I'd like to hook it up to the CDP100 (plus my Volca Sample and eventually a modular synth like the Moooooooog Mother). The SQ64 has a micro-usb out, which may or may not be viable as a usb MIDI out, I have no idea. It also has 2 MIDI outs. I understand the CDP S100 has a USB port.

My question, then, is can I control the piano using the sequencer, and vice-versa? I'd like to be able to play piano and record the output to the sequencer as MIDI, and I'm sure this is possible with the appropriate cable. But I also want sequence, and edit in the sequencer and play the MIDI back through the piano. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks.

Hi Smokey, and welcome to the forums.  

I'm not familiar with the products you mention.  I will say this, you will need a MIDI host device to access the CDP-S100 USB connection as MIDI.  Anything with USB MIDI host functionality can use the CDP-S100 as a MIDI sound module and controller.  You'll want to confirm that in anything you want to connect. Also, keep in mind that MIDI IN on the CDP will have to be controlled entirely via MIDI, including mixer settings, patch selection, etc.  The CDP has a dedicated sound engine for MIDI IN use only, which can't be accessed from the instrument itself.