Video Files on Forum ×

[GCP-700] Loading MIDI files to PC

David_z

Greetings everyone,

I recently created a piece of music using the MIDI Recorder of GCP-700, but I encountered a problem when trying to load it onto my PC. My PC was able to open the MID files but when I played it, a lot of the sound tracks were either missing or not showing up properly. I really want to know if any of you have experience loading your music to PC successfully. I would appreciate any suggestions, thank you so much!

Hi Brad,

Thank you for your response. I used the system track and three other tracks,and I did not use the GM tones. I was able to hear the combination of all tracks when I played the MIDI on my piano, but somehow not everything got transferred to my computer.

I will preface with this.  The SMF format has a maximum capacity of 16 tracks.  The MIDI recorder on the CGP has 16 solo tracks plus a system track.  The system track is an all-in-one track, and expands the recording possibilities well beyond what the SMF format is capable of. In this combined form, the expanded capability is only compatible with the keyboard itself. 

(This next part applies to several Casio models with the MIDI recorder.  I'm not certain it applies to the CGP-700.  It should, so I will mention it so you can try it.)

If the goal is exporting a recording as SMF, it is a good idea to make a choice before starting a new recording.  You can choose to use the system track by itself, or you can use the solo tracks, but not both at the same time.  Either choice will convert to SMF.  Once a solo track and system track is recorded in the same song, the system favors the solo tracks for conversion.  If only the system track is recorded, it will be converted to SMF.  In that case, accompaniment parts, as well as splits and layers, will be separated into individual tracks.  

In addition to the track requirements for exporting to SMF, another thing to consider is tone selection.  The keyboard has a selection of GM (General MIDI) tones which are designed for use with MIDI/SMF files.  Using GM tones will help the file play with correct sounds when used on other GM capable devices.  

Thank you sooooo much Brad for pointing out that we cannot choose the solo tracks and the system tracks together. Also, thank you for point out the GM tones. As soon as I changed my original tone to a GM tone, my music worked perfectly.

• Like 2