CT-X 700 vs. Yamaha PSR E-373

Piano Tone

Hi there!  I have a fully weighted digital piano I use most of the time but I am looking for a second keyboard that will hopefully be usable for:

- "couch" keyboard (writing, messing around while the wife watches the news ;)

- busking (nice and light)

- as a non-MIDI source for other sounds (guitars, horns, etc) to add to recordings

- as a very simple drum/backing track generator (record drums and backing to match a song, then use that as backing on my piano)

I've been agonizing between the CT-X700 and the Yamaha PSR E-373; wanted to ask Casio peeps here if they feel the CT-X700 would be a good fit for my needs or not; I do like layering sounds and also splitting to play bass in the left and piano/e.piano in the right and I've heard frustrated comments about the CT-X not being able to adjust relative volumes on splits/layers.

Any input would be super appreciated!

Thanks

5 hours ago, Piano Tone said:

I do like layering sounds and also splitting to play bass in the left and piano/e.piano in the right and I've heard frustrated comments about the CT-X not being able to adjust relative volumes on splits/layers.

This issue is about to be addressed. You can hear more about the workaround here. It's not possible to change volumes from the keyboard itself, but it can be done with some preparation beforehand.

The built-in speakers are not very powerful, although they're fine for solo practice without headphones. For busking you'd want to bring some external amplification (if permits allow for it in your area). Otherwise, it meets all of your requirements and then some. The horns, electric pianos and synth sounds on here are very good for the price.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Chandler!  That sounds promising; are there any of the layers/splits that are unusable at their current default settings?  (I've listened to 1,000 youtube videos and the bass on splits SEEMS quiet and the strings on layers SEEMS loud).  I was anticipating needing external amplification, so I've been looking into battery powered amps as well.  I think I'm sold on the CTX vs the Yamaha (32 registrations vs 9, 6 track MIDI vs 2, velocity sensitive articulation instead of hold down a button/use a pedal (and lose sustain), dedicated vs. combo buttons for fills and variations; only thing on the Yamaha that I would really miss is the built in audio interface. 

That's hard to say. Sound quality of a single tone is already hard enough to give an objective opinion on, so when you start talking about combinations of tones, it gets even harder to give a clear answer.

In my experience, I find the lack of adjustable volumes most notable when I'm trying to balance softer pad sounds (strings, synth pads) with tones that have a sharper attack (acoustic pianos, brass, pluckier guitar sounds). But nothing I would consider unusable. It's one of those things where you'd have to try it for yourself to know.

And again, I doubt that this will continue to be a problem for more than a month or two. The experimentation phase for the .RBK workaround is over, we're just waiting on a utility to get developed. Once the utility is done and a friendlier UI gets added on top, it will be easy to rebalance your tone combinations (even if you're a less tech savvy user).

• Like 1

The Yahama has one big limitation for recording. The recorder is only 2 track. You get 6 tracks on the Casio. This would be better for making backing tracks unless you are going to use a DAW to record audio. The ability to adjust volume of sounds is a bit limiting but sounds like this is being addressed through a software interface. You could consider a used CTX 3000 for about the price of the 373 and pick up a lot more functionality including hooking up an expression pedal and editing sounds, rhythms, or creating rhythms from scratch with the pattern sequencer.

• Like 1

Good point on the 6 tracks thanks; I’m too hung up on the audio interface (have that on my Yamaha P125 and it’s a pretty awesome feature), but my external one will be just fine with the CTX700.  With the 3000 do you know if the USB flash drive can save audio or just MIDI?  I’ve heard a lot of people complain how challenging the UI is on the 3000/5000 not sure if that’s true or not.  The rhythm creator looks cool, not sure if I’d be patient enough to to learn it lol

No you can't record to the thumb drive. There is no audio recorder on the CTX series only MIDI recording. You can play audio files from the thumb drive, load tones, rhythms, etc. You can save data from the keyboard to the thumb, tones, registrations, user songs. Yes the UI is somewhat challenging but like most equipment takes getting used to. There is a lot on this board given the price point. The 373 is strictly a preset board. You can't edit anything or create anything yourself except a user song in 2 tracks.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

I am a beginner, looking to buy my first keyboard and learn to play. Zero knowledge of any instrument, sheet music etc. 

I have been agonising between Casio CTX700 and Yamaha PSR E373 for over three weeks now. I have read all possible reviews, discussions, seen videos etc. For my use, there is only one question that I am looking for an answer to decide between these two instruments. 

How's the keybed in CTX700 when compared to PSR E373? Does the CTX700 have a clunky / mechanical sound / squeaky because of its plastic keys when compared to the PSR E373? 

Since I am primarily be going to use this keyboard to learn to play a keyboard properly, I thought the keys on CTX700 would be better to shift towards a Piano in the future because of its keys (according to some reviews). But if the above mentioned problem is prominent with no way of correcting it / very high maintenance, then it would become a deal breaker.

Any insights on the Casio CTX700 keybed / keys from current / previous owners would help me make the decision and take the plunge!

• 4 weeks later...

Despite being E-3XX series instrument, PSR E373 has more features than most PSR E-4xx series keyboards. So when comparing it to Casio, you'd better compare it to X-3000/5000, not to X-700. So if E373 is sold for same price as X700 (here it is not), then of course, go for E-373.