Video Files on Forum ×

PX-3S MIDI in... only Grand Piano as sound source?

Norm MacNeil

I wanted to layer some sounds from a MIDI sound source and from the PX-3S.  Here's the setup:

M-Audio Keystation61 MK3 (midi controller): MIDI OUT -> MIDI IN to a sound module

sound module: audio output -> mixer board

sound module: MIDI OUT -> PX-3S

PX-3S: audio output -> mixer board

I know... why not just use the PX as the MIDI controller?  I am using the PX-3S for its own sounds at the same time as playing the Keystation.

This works; however, when I play a key on the Keystation, the only sound generated by the PX-3S is a Grand Piano sound.  There doesn't appear to be any way to change what Bank/Sound is used by the MIDI IN signal.

The MIDI parameter shown in the manual appears to be only associated with MIDI OUT.  So... my question is:

Is there anyway to change what Bank/Sound is being used when a MIDI IN signal is received? (otherwise, what's the point of having a MIDI IN on the piano if it can only control one tone?)

Thanks.  To avoid changing the sound module (since it is in between the Keystation and the PX), I would need to have program changes sent on different MIDI channels, right?  If so, I don't see any parameter that let's me change the channel the PX is listening on.  So, I believe I would need to change the MIDI channel on the sound module, send program changes to the PX, then change the MIDI channel back to "1" on the sound module in order for the Keystation to control both the sound module and the PX.  Does that sound about right?