Video Files on Forum ×

Very loud high-pitched overtones for several keys (Privia PX-870)

BMV

Hi!

I got Privia PX-870 and noticed that some keys in the center of the keyboard sound strange. They have very loud high-pitched overtones that even overpower the main tone.
The range of keys is approximately C4 # - E4. Starting with F4, these overtones immediately become 2 times quieter.
It is very clear and audible if you compare E4 and F4. Here is an analysis of the frequency spectrum.

I never play Steinway Grand Piano, but don't think it sounds like this.

I checked in the store on other PX-870 and got the same results. It looks like a problem with key sound samples or firmware.
Do you have such problem or any ideas about it?

E4-loud_overtones.png

F4-normal_overtones.png

44 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Thank you.  As suspected, it is completely normal.  That is the true sound of the piano that was sampled.  

Thanks!

I think I get it, these high frequency overtones create that crystal ringing sound of a grand piano
It just surprised me that the keys next to each other have such a different frequency spectrum. Apparently this is for balance.
The more I play, the more I like it :) I used to play only on cheap pianos and for a very long time on a Soviet grand piano at a music school, but I already forgot how a grand piano should sound :)

• Like 1