Video Files on Forum ×

Required Cables To record Ctx3000

Hello, I am very confused and on the verge of having a breakdown, so your help would be highly appreciated!!!

Which EXACT kind of cables to I need to record audio from my ctx3000 to my laptop (Audacity)? 
Besides usb ports my laptop has only a port for headphones, not for microphone, will i need an adapter there?

And which ports of the keyboard will i need? I imagine the "PHONES/OUTPUT" one, or will i need the Pedal ones or the "AUDIO IN" port? Which kind of cable do i have to stick in which hole, both on the keyoard and my pc/adapter if needed.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!! I'm new to recording keyboard

You will need to use the phones/output jack, which is a standard 1/4 inch TRS plug outputting a stereo signal.  You will need to add a USB audio interface to your computer.  You will then need an audio cable which matches the plug types on both devices.  Most entry level audio interfaces marketed for music recording will have 2 inputs for 1/4 inch TS mono plugs.  In that case, you would need a 1/4 inch TRS to dual 1/4 inch TS cable.  

• Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 4:11 PM, Brad Saucier said:

You will need to use the phones/output jack, which is a standard 1/4 inch TRS plug outputting a stereo signal.  You will need to add a USB audio interface to your computer.  You will then need an audio cable which matches the plug types on both devices.  Most entry level audio interfaces marketed for music recording will have 2 inputs for 1/4 inch TS mono plugs.  In that case, you would need a 1/4 inch TRS to dual 1/4 inch TS cable.  

Thank you very much!

On 6/6/2021 at 12:05 PM, r_1159 said:

Hello This is what i use to connect the audio cable to my labtop. There is hum noise when i record my songs though. 

Unfortunately, hum is pretty common in these USB audio adapters, often caused by ground loops between the source (keyboard) and the laptop.  One simple solution that often works is temporarily unplugging your laptop (running on battery) while actually recording, which breaks the ground loop.  Alternatively, using something like a small mixer, which has its own power cord (and therefore, ground), will also avoid the hum.  A passive ground loop audio noise filter/isolator can reduce the hum a little, but it will still be there.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mclandy said:

Unfortunately, hum is pretty common in these USB audio adapters, often caused by ground loops between the source (keyboard) and the laptop.  One simple solution that often works is temporarily unplugging your laptop (running on battery) while actually recording, which breaks the ground loop.  Alternatively, using something like a small mixer, which has its own power cord (and therefore, ground), will also avoid the hum.  A passive ground loop audio noise filter/isolator can reduce the hum a little, but it will still be there.

Thanks a lot for the info will try the first method unplugging my laptop. Cheers