Video Files on Forum ×

Are the "stand by" chord notes output to MIDI?

Recently, I played a WK at the local music store.

I noticed that when ACCOMP is active and the rhythm is stopped, you can play keys in the chord area.  The machine will sound a faint chord and bass tone when the keys are pressed.

Can someone who owns one please test, and let me know if these chord AND bass "note on" and "note off" messages are output to MIDI?  Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hello again,

It's been almost 2 years.  My question is about the "placeholder" tones (piano and strings) that sound with ACCOMP on and the rhythm stopped.

Does anyone know whether these tones can be output as MIDI messages, on the WK-7600, PX-560, CT-X series, or any other Casio keyboard? 

Thanks to all in advance for providing this information!

This is a significant finding, and here's why:  Older Casio keyboards, including the WK-7600 and PX-560, lack a "sync stop" or arranger memory function.  If a user wants to play "rubato" and not be bound to the meter of a programmed rhythm, there's no way that I'm aware of to stop the accompaniment when the keys are released.  By sending the "placeholder tones" to MIDI output, the Casio could be connected to an inexpensive external tone module such as the Yamaha QY70.  This could provide a simple but fuller-sounding ad hoc accompaniment with a broad choice of voices.

You could also connect to other arrangers like a Tyros or Genos, and probably control style playback on those isntruments while using Casio's familiar 'Fingered 1' mode.  This mode is in many ways easier and more straightforward than Yamaha's "AI Fingered" system.

If someone actually tries what I'm proposing, I would love to know (and hear!) the results!