Video Files on Forum ×

How to add legato to string tone

r_1159

What Casio calls "Legato" is a mode of portamento that's supported on some of their other keyboards. Is that what you're asking about, r_1159?

By coincidence I was looking into this same topic just last week. The mode is definitely supported by AiX, and the MIDI implementation document page 13 explains how to get it working over MIDI. To use on keyboard tones it's necessary to use a binary editor and edit some undocumented portions of the .TON file. I've attached tone "222 STEREO STRINGS" edited in that way - r_1159 let me know if this works or if you need something else here (for example, it can be made faster/slower if you prefer). None of the Preset tones on CT-X use this mode of portamento, so a binary editor is really the only way.

If you need to turn the effect on/off during a performance probably the only way to do that is with registrations - assign the normal "222 STEREO STRINGS" to a first slot, and the legato version below to a second slot. It seems the PORTAMENTO button on the instrument can't be made to control this variant mode of portamento, it can only control the "normal" portamento.

EDIT: Removed the file (see below)

• Thanks 1

After writing the above, I played around some more and actually it can be a lot simpler. It turns out with a tone that's been edited to be "Legato", the PORTAMENTO button on the keyboard changes the portament speed between what's specified in the tone and what is selected by the user. So : have attached a .TON file with speed set to zero, which behaves quite nicely:

PORTAMENTO button Off ->  non-legato, exactly like normal "222 STEREO STRINGS"

PORTAMENTO button On -> Legato sound, with speed as selected by the user in menu FUNCTION > Cntrller > Portamnt.

SSTRLEG0.TON

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1