Video Files on Forum ×

Temperamental/dead keys...

Hi, I have a Casio WK - 6600 which I've owned for approx 5 years. Never had any issues until about a week ago I noticed that the E key right at the low end was sometimes failing to produce any sound, then last night it was producing no sound whatsoever and the F key next to it was also becoming temperamental, as well as an A key towards the higher end. 

Today I used a vacuum cleaner on the keys and tried them again and they're all working fine, except for the low end E which, though working better than it was, still isn't 100% and seems to only produce sound with every second touch or so.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

• 2 months later...

I would say take it apart which is fairly easy, more a pain due to all the screws, but you'll want to see what's going on in there.  Might need some contact cleaner or something but you won't know until you've got it apart.  If you have a cat then the contacts might have gotten hair on them [just a thought].

The 2 main bodies separate easily, the wires are long enough to all you to pull them apart.

While you're in there put some silicone grease on the inside of the keys to reduce some of the clackiness and will simultaneously offer a little more resistance when playing them.