Video Files on Forum ×

Preliminary CTS-1 Review

Piano Tone

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Piano Tone, nice demonstration, you really are showing the dynamic possibilities of the various tones, which is really useful.

I agree, Split would have been an useful function of this keyboard. Is it still possible to layer a second tone on the preset bass/piano split tone?

I think that the micro USB socket is a Host connector, not a Device connector.

Out of curiosity, which Yamaha piano do you have? Mine is a DGX650 and I like it’s main piano tone and key action very much.

Any idea of when you’ll release the longer review of the CT-S1?

Vinciane

• 2 weeks later...

Hey sorry I've been crazy busy lately - the full review is actually done sorry I didn't post a link before.   And I've had the CTS-1 for a month or so now and absolutely LOVE it!  And I've recently started using it with my new Bose S1 battery powered PA and WOW I love it!  (Review on the speaker and on the 2 of these as an amazing battery operated portable rig will be on the way in the next few weeks).  I've been rehearsing with a vocalist using this setup and it sounds awesome - using audio in port into the CTS-1 for backing tracks, CTS-1 into the 1/8" stereo in on the Bose, and that leaves 2 XLR inputs (complete with reverb) for our vocals!  And this speaker will be usable as a portable PA, just a keyboard amp (with no vocals I'd split the headphone out into the 2 1/4" XLR/TR combo ports), or even as a monitor for my keyboard for larger gigs since the bose has a stereo out as well. 

Oh and I'm pretty sure you can probably layer a voice with the piano bass split (I'm not sure why that wouldn't work) but it might sound a bit weird since I'm betting the layered sound would be layered over the bass as well as the piano - I'm curious about this and will test it reply later!

My existing pianos are a Yamaha P-125 (my main one) I also have an iNovus i88 which is a much cheaper weighted board great for starting out.  I love my P-125 but I have to admit as crazy as it sounds, the CTS-1 is giving it a run for it's money.  My kingdom for a 76 key CTS-1 with L/R lineouts; my P-125 would be relegated to the closet for sure.

Anyways here is the link for the full review on the CTS-1:  if you subscribe to my YouTube channel you should get notified when I post new stuff.

Edited by Piano Tone

Hi again!  Answer is yes you can apply a layer to the preset bass/piano split but as I expected the layered voice gets applied to both the bass and the piano.  I didn’t try too many voices out but to be honest the strings actually sounded interesting on the bass as well, just kind of “fattening up” the bass sound almost like adding a bit of gain to the bass.

• Like 1