Video Files on Forum ×

Absolute beginnger with entry level questions about Privia PX-310

Badger

Hello.

I've been given a Privia PX310 and have literally no idea what I'm doing. I've never even played an instrument, but would like to start. I've downloaded the manual but I'm missing cables and don't know anything about the ports I'm looking at. I have a pedal and cable and an AC adapter. If you have the patience, I'd really appreciate any recommendations or specific links to help me get started. I've been looking online for a while, but it's all going over my head.

1. I need headphones and a cable to connect them. I'd prefer something cheap, but I understand there are different jacks and the manual didn't give any guidance. Would these be OK? https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/MDRXD150B-Sony-MDR-XD150-Headphones-blk/dp/B00FJISZAA/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=キーボードヘッドホン&qid=1629719291&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-19

2. I'd like to connect the keyboard to my laptop. I have a USB and HDMI port. Could you tell me what cables I'll need?

3. Is there any software you'd recommend for learning how to play? So far I'm just watching Youtube. I can't afford lessons (feeling pretty blessed to have received such a nice keyboard for free!).

Thank you for any time and help you can give.

I think no-one has responded because, well i don't really know! One at a time.

1) I've been playing, troubleshooting and teaching for years, and sometimes I still have no idea what I'm doing! But seriously..

2) headphones-I can't say the Sonys will be OK-some of the Casios are a little fussy with high-end phones, you might be happy you might be disappointed unless you can listen before you buy-specifically connected to this Privia. I've had alot of luck with the much less expensive "Superlux" and "Samson" headphones-for the money-and my experiences connecting these to several Privias and others-sound superb for pianos and other sounds. These are clones of higher-end AKG's which I also have to compare-make sure you don't get the older 600 ohm versions of any headphones-these are designed for older pro equipment and are not sensitive enough  to give you enough loudness with a Casio, or most other keyboards. 32-50 Ohms are generally about perfect-you can look up this specific "spec" if you research headphone user groups/review sites. I specifically use the Superlux HD681-not the "EVOs" which don't get quite as good reviews. The Samsons I own are exactly the same as the superlux but with the Samson name-mine are the SR850's a little more money but pretty much sound the same as the Superlux. Read the reviews-compare favorably to headsets costing alot more. Enough said about that!

3) Connection to computer-this has industry "standard" MIDI DIN ports, rather than the now very common "USB" ports used on many newer equipment. IMO-the DIN ports are better for a variety of reasons-were originally designed for professional applications and are less prone to problems-that's another huge database of info I won't get into-what you will need is a cable configuration that has the computer USB plug-so called "A" rectangular plug shape-and 2 midi din jacks on the other end. Depending on your operating system, you may need to download and install software "drivers" to get this cable to "handshake" with your keyboard and computer-easier than it sounds-the good cables will have these drivers and instructions how to use and install. DO NOT GET THIS ONE!!!!....

https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=5069

A picture is shown after the first few posts, and my experiences verify this-I had no end of trouble, thinking it was caused by a variety of things-and all along it was simply this horrible cable-I took 2 of mine apart to see-one was missing the main IC needed to work (!), the other was missing that part and the solder connections were wrong. I got smart, now I use a MIDISPORT 2 x 2 converter box-a little more money but believe me its worth it. There are others-Korg, Roland but I would try to get a name brand for this-you don't want computer connection problems, this is complicated enough right?  I recently found this one-a no-name brand but it is working well.

image.jpeg.e45367639d7fc37aa64b1dd620ad94ed.jpeg

As far as learning the piano-I teach in retirement now-I would study whatever youtube instructors that are most understandable to you and start simply-whatever you do-try to find a demonstrator who can show you proper wrist and arm motions-this is probably the most important concept to understand-if you don't do this properly from the beginning-with a piano action keyboard if you play more than a few minutes a day-you can seriously cripple yourself, I'm not kidding on this one.

For piano learning software-depends upon what computer system you are using. I'll have a few ideas, others here will too. If you are on a Windows machine with no Apple tablets or phones-I found an amazing "key-lighting" program similar to the Casio Chordana play app-which you can use by loading midi files into it-and it will show you which notes are being played for any midi file you open with it. I'll upload it here if you are interested.  And try this-I use this all the time-very simple-you don't need to connect anything to anything-I use it on my Windows machines and my Android tablets-it is the simplest tool I've found-shows melodies, scores as it plays and comes with a huge database of songs to practice from the simplest to very difficult.

http://midisheetmusic.com/download.html

Music software is a huge subject in itself-I wouldn't get to bogged down in software DAWs quite yet, just my opinion, but baby steps-when I teach-short melodies, scales, chords, accompaniment patterns-try to keep your eyes off the keys-very hard at first but I teach students to feel the keys, shapes, positions. Octaves...practice alot of octaves-great for your hands and for learning where the keys are. watch the greats on Youtube-Vladimir Horowitz was always one of my favorites to watch-look at how he works those keys-a work of art just to watch him play!  Hope this helps. Have a nice day.

http://midisheetmusic.com/download.html

Edited by Jokeyman123
  • Thanks 1

If you are interested in a Windows program designed by Casio which will import any midi file-and show you which notes are being played on a live keyboard. Take a look at these posts-a little more advanced for what you might want to do at this point-but it needs no computer connection to your older 310 Casio which might make it simpler for you to run. this is about the best visual notation software I have found for the Casios-actually will work with any midi file-but is designed to show you a breakdown of left and right hand parts as it is playing-and even shows each individual track in multi-track midi file. From Casio Europe, hard to find-I have it up and running in English on all my Windows laptops-a really great design-even for a beginner I think you can learn alot from installing and running this. It is called simply-Midi4Casio. It was designed to save a midi file in Casio format for playing on specific Casio keyboards, but i use it to study keyboard notes for any midi file I load into it without installing the converted midi file in the keyboard. it can be run this way easily.

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4931-how-to-convert-midi-into-a-lesson/&tab=comments#comment-61061