Video Files on Forum ×

px s1000 as master controller

stefanocps

Hello, i am looking a good instrument to be used mainly as a master controller. Since few months  I have an upright piano and now when i need to use cubase and vst instruments i feel that i need a good action keyboard. I had a px 5s( whose keyboard i like it a lot) and i think that px s1000 ha the same keyboard right?

Most of master hasn't got a keyboard so good, at least not for this price. Moreover i love the size of the s1000, with its 10cm in height and the least size in depth is very good for my need. I am asking you if it is ok to use it as a master..i know it does not have nothing but the key to send as midi..bit does it do good?

thanks

The PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 have a totally different keybed to the PX 5S. I owned a PX 5S and now own a PX-S3000 and a PX 560 M , however, my PX-S3000 is not a good controller as it lacks many functions found in the PX 5S and PX 560M that are needed as a controller. The best solution  would be a dedicated controller like the Arturia Keylab 88, no sounds but a great keybed.  Unfortunately with modern keyboard products you can never find the perfect combination to satisfy all your whims.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shep said:

The PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 have a totally different keybed to the PX 5S. I owned a PX 5S and now own a PX-S3000 and a PX 560 M , however, my PX-S3000 is not a good controller as it lacks many functions found in the PX 5S and PX 560M that are needed as a controller. The best solution  would be a dedicated controller like the Arturia Keylab 88, no sounds but a great keybed.  Unfortunately with modern keyboard products you can never find the perfect combination to satisfy all your whims.

yes arturia...not that cheap though..i have tried to look for it in the shop to test the keybed, but i could not find it. is there a mk2 versione right?

how different is from the original?

btw..i could test the px1000..and indeed totally different form the px5s..that has a really nice keybed...but was too bulky for my need

Edited by stefanocps

I use a PXS3000 as a portable weighted controller for vst's. Though it doesn't have much in the way of external controls, the keyboard is excellent as a high res midi keyboard input. I tend to use the onscreen functions on the software mostly anyway, so lack of extra controllers doesn't bother me, as long as I have the 88 keys.

The 2 knobs on the left are assignable though, so you can use them.

I've owned the PX5S and I donated my PX560 to my granddaughter. I personally like the feel of the PXS3000 keybed more than the older ones. I used to get a bit put off by the wobbly looseness of the keys when playing them. Also I think I like the 3000 because the keys being a bit lighter with the shorter fulcrum, and though I do play a lot of piano, as a controller I find the lightness lends to be a better compromise for articulating other instrument sounds. I do own a range of keyboards and an acoustic grand, and they all have their individual attractions. No one keyboard is the answer to all my applications.

Of course that is my personal preference only, and I can see why many people prefer the 5S/560 keys :)

These days with so many peripheral controller options for other vst parameters, I don't think not having enough knobs and sliders on a keyboard is such an issue. To me the keybed is the first priority, then you can sort out the rest as an extra anyway.