Video Files on Forum ×

Live hex layers with sequencer

Jokeyman123

Every time I pick this up again-this is a beast of a keyboard-perhaps some of you already noticed this-but I just discovered-while switching around my patterns with the sequencer-when I call up a hex layer to play as a solo lead tone-I can control all 6 hex layers with the slide controls live, wow is this fun! the CPU lags a bit sometimes but it is do-able. Bringing in and out  string sounds, PCM synth tones, pianos etc. its in there if you have the right hex layer-while all the other sequencer tracks are playing yikes.

One of the most important skills I've needed to learn, and still am practicing it-is how to manipulate relative volume levels live with the mixer. The "all" setting and "master" setting still confuses me a bit-but with practice, this is a powerful way to alter live sequences -really quite amazing. I need to teach myself how to use these controls at the same level as when I first learned to play any other instrument-understanding the complexity of the XW is part of the key to playing it live, and using it as it was designed to be used, not an easy task. The closest analogy I can make-its as if this is a modular patch cord system-with separate modules-without the patch-cords and is all in one cabinet. This is why it is damn near impossible to approach it as a single simple instrument-it isn't!  But it can be. Whew......

Another puzzle-I forgot where I downloaded these organ patches in my user slots-and although many of the organ drawbar tones are fairly "flat" sounding-almost too "clean"-somebody created a few organ tones that are identical to my favorite organ tones in the PX560, specifically the "rock" tones in the 560 which have just enough grit and leslie sound built into these-which I did not think was possible with the XW-this is very cool-it bumps my estimation of the native organ tones in the XW up quite a notch. if anyone else knows what I'm talking about-I have no idea where I got these XW organ tones-not hex layers-and I cannot figure out what DSPs are in these to make them sound like this-much different than any of the other organ factory tones, almost sounds like a different keyboard, very weird!

I can create a few examples as mp3s here if anyone wants to hear what I'm talking about. I am very glad I kept the XW-even with all my other much more so-called "pro" gear-this is still standing as a very unique hardware machine.  if Casio had put this in a metal box and added about 10-20 pounds to it-it would probably have sold for 1-2 thousand US-and if it had a Nord, Yamaha or other such "name' attached to it. I've noticed too, some of the heaviest hitter experienced moderators on several other music groups I'm in-reported very favorably when they first "stumbled" across the Casios, and compared the PX's to several other much more expensive stage pianos, workstations, whatever we're calling these today.

Edited by Jokeyman123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 5:27 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

... if Casio had put this in a metal box and added about 10-20 pounds to it-it would probably have sold for 1-2 thousand US-and if it had a Nord, Yamaha or other such "name' attached to it. ....

AND: if the had put a better keybed

SAME  WHITH   THE   MZ-X500!

This seems to be the recent trend with many manufacturers....less sturdy keyboards. If it were physically possible to transplant say a Fatar TP-9 61 key into some of these keyboards, but it isn't without I would guess quite a bit of electronic modifications, and physical. At least the XW has midi din connectors-so ijust connect it to one of my 88-key monsters and solves that problem. Normally-playing in a band, I will play an 88-key for the piano and other parts, and use a 2nd 61-key for organ riffs, pads, brass or woodwind "hooks" which usually don't require very demanding playing, at least for me. but yes, I would prefer a deeper more solid 61-key action most times-but there aren't oo many newer instruments for under 1000 US that have that-and even some of the more expensive boards seem to be 'compromising" on their actions, weighted and otherwise. Trouble with keybed designs-Fatar is still making many of the key actions for quite  a few name-brand non-Studiologic/Fatar controllers, and many of the other manufacturers have their own, very specifically designed keyboards such as the Roland, Korg and Yamaha brands, which I'm pretty sure would be hard to transplant, even if you could get one. Fatar, for example, will not sell their keyboard actions to individual consumers-only to other companies or larger-scale vendors. and even thie keys can have manufacturing defects. I know, I've had to restore/repair a few!  

An ironic aside, i recently played a very nice upright acoustic piano-was I surprised at what a 'crappy' action it had!  I guess-beauty is on the eye (or hands)-of the beholder. 

• Like 1

@Jokeyman123 I can't believe I've read a post from Jokeyman aligned and well with spaces for once 😂.

Its to bad my XW is down for the moment I've probably found the problem and can fix it as it seems being a well known 

one, Back to the subject we've talked about so much and yes still true to this day is the XW, (G1) hybrid processing 

sound system, PCM, Sample and Solo synth, (P1 - Organ , Hexlayers). I wouldn't mind same (although with slightly improved)system with different form factor though and the true identity of the secret sauce of sound waves from a

well known company. It would be fabulous and exquisite if it had the keybed of the latest. 

I almost forgot what I wanted to go about, XW was the latest synth back then with "Feed Back" loop, I didn't payed much 

attention to it because of it roughness. Not many synths have similar feedback functions , Understand me correctly feedback and not modulation one osc to another nor sync or drift. Love the XW solo sounds cause they're like deep editable similar to PX5S hexlayers . The XW Ipad app is still the best de facto editor to program solo sounds. 

• Thanks 1

I'd not seen this-wow. Very cool effect.  Yes, not too many synths can do this. I have to look up how to control the filter wih the drawbar-I haven't done too much with functions like that-actually something else I've missed. Yes XW, this is a very deep machine, multi-faceted. And XW-you can post however it comes out, its always good! You have some very interesting and different ideas-keeps the creative going. what's wrong with your XW, maybe I can help? 

• Like 1