Video Files on Forum ×

Looking for the XWG1

Musho toku

Hi!

I found an XWG1 near my city, I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

It looks good in the photos that the seller gave me, except for some unexpected details ...

Someone repaired the power input, moving it to MIDI IN.

the synthesizer works.

Will I be able to reverse that modification once I have bought it? ... I hope so.

my plans are to bring headphones, cables, a volcaFM (to test MIDI OUT and AUDIO INS on the XWG1)

... I think that would be the whole hardware test ...

The software should work perfectly. we'll see.

I hope any ideas from the forum about "what to check in this purchase"

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Musho toku said:

Someone repaired the power input, moving it to MIDI IN.

the synthesizer works.

Will I be able to reverse that modification once I have bought it? ... I hope so.

Hi 

From you write about the keyboard having been modified, I would not buy it, if I was to buy one. Just my opinion. :)

Instead, go for an instrument that is complete in all aspects, in terms of the functionality it had when it left the factory.

hi Jay C!

I agree!

but..

I have been looking for the XWG1 for more than 1 year, and I cannot find it.

buy a new XWP1, it arrived with software glitches.

and the one they sent as a guarantee also arrived with failures.

the XWG1 that I will see tomorrow appeared as a divine call ... it must be a shipment from the high constellations. Haha!

also, it is at a very tempting price ...

thanks for the advice!

tomorrow I will have news of this story.

Wow! this sounds really wrong. I agree, I would pass. This makes absolutely no sense. I wonder whatever other "hack" job they did on this and probably ruined the mid IC board in rhe process, and who knows what else. There is no reason on the planet to do this. I didn't even think it was possible-and is certainly asking for trouble. The 2 connectors are not even close together, and are completely wrong electronically. It may work, but midi and power connections should not be anywhere near each other-one mistake, you'll fry the entire midi circuit, and maybe worse. and since it will almost impossible to get replacement parts-unless you know something I don't know-a board as complex as this, its your call.

Edited by Jokeyman123

19 minutes ago, Musho toku said:

I have been looking for the XWG1 for more than 1 year, and I cannot find it.

buy a new XWP1, it arrived with software glitches.

and the one they sent as a guarantee also arrived with failures.

the XWG1 that I will see tomorrow appeared as a divine call ... it must be a shipment from the high constellations. Haha!

I hope that you find what you are looking for, but please, for your own sake, stay a bit critical with what's offered, and make sure you test it thoroughly before you decide to buy it.

On my own account, I can say that I bought a used XW-G1, it was hard to find and it did have some signs of use.

For instance, one of the slider-knobs was missing and the areas of the keyboard-casing that is covered in red color are faded, not as bright and vibrant as on a new keyboard. Sometimes, it also has some weird issues that was not described in the ad.

All this goes to show, that you cannot be certain that a used instrument, that has some age to it, will work perfectly. So watch out :)

I say, Its odd replacing Midi in to function as a power input, That means disconnecting it from the main print (as Midi itself is a print attached to the mainboard) 

and reconnecting the wire with the main input of original dc from another board , But this also means someone has put a din connection on the adapter removing the original 

one. That kinda cheap and messy cause now its missing din midi In/Out. The original adapter input on the keyboard has to be totally rekt.

That a wrong substitute for power adapter. If anything else happens to the keyboard you'll have to explain that modification, Chances are they won't fix it further as it 

is in a poor state. 

I fully agree with @Jokeyman123

In addition I won't recommend anyone doing repairs themselves on the unit unless you really really know what you're doing, cause there are really sensitive parts inside of it. And once these are broken there be a hard time to replace those parts. Something of this keyboard made me gasp in awe and freaked me out. 

But if you're adventures and want one go for it, Just leave it as it is , if it isn't broken don't fix it. 

Yes!

the G1 spacecraft is in the house!

It is dirty, tampered with and has strange smells ... it has a soul.

....I'm lovin 'it!

now it's my turn to shine and condition it.

I'm already testing it and everything works, I even played the first hits! ;)

Regarding MIDI connections:

The person who fixed it unscrewed the entire MIDI board (no unsoldered connectors). this board is inside the G1.

I'll open it tomorrow to see what this is all about.

then I'll tell you news ...

Let's not use the word "fixed".  Mutilated would be better. Be careful-damage done now might not show up for awhile-I hope it keeps working, I've repaired damaged boards-even repaired cracked IC boards-but I am still wary as to how this was done. I really hope it works out. You probably need to do alot of disassembly to get the probably broken power jack out and replaced-why he did it this way-but taking out the midiboard to fit the power jack? Good luck. 

• Like 1

hahaaaa

no, it doesn't smell like food.

smells of abandoned musical dreams of a girl inspired by Cerati and Spinetta, who is now looking for new directions for her creativity ...

I know the smells Jokeyman mentions.

none of that luckily.

I thought that nothing could beat the little SK1, until the G1 appeared ... what a beautiful ship!

• Like 2

there he is, unarmed but alive ...

solved the Midi board, now working .. in the video the XWG1 controlling the VolcaFM ..

a sample of my voice plays on the keyboard.

Now it's time to replace the 9v input.

thanks for the tips everyone!

PS: I'm seriously thinking about making that section of the main board foldable ... it's very comfortable ... muahahahah

https://youtu.be/z5fHTPTj2tM

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

@Musho toku- I missed this thread somehow! Just read through the story, and I'm still trying to think of a reason to use the MIDI port in place of the the original power socket. Seems so weird that someone went to all that trouble to hack the DC in via a MIDI port instead of just repairing the original power socket in the first place. I'd be curious to see what the converted MIDI power socket looked like from the inside!

It's probably completely unrelated, but I wonder if somehow G1's had more faults that P1's? My G1 was supposedly a floor model that I bought online, and it came boxed plus it appeared to be in as new condition. But it had a weird intermittent fault (there's a thread in this forum about it), where a group of keys would suddenly stop working, and then sometimes start working again. This happened a few times when I was in the UK, then after I had all my gear shipped to the USA the G1 worked fine for quite some time, then suddenly it had the same group of keys stop working again. Except this time I took it apart and found that one of connector ribbons was trapped between the two case halves with a screw going right through it!  It turned out that one of the wires in the ribbon was damaged and the screw was actually making contact between them. If it was jogged slightly, it caused the connection to break and led to the non functioning keys issue. I repaired the damaged ribbon wire and relocated the ribbon, and since then it's worked perfectly.

Glad to hear that you managed to get your G1 working, and I hope you do manage to properly replace the 9V input and get your G1 back to standard. They seem pretty rare these days and don't seem to come up for sale often, then again, they weren't as popular as the P1 model and weren't sold for as long either. That probably adds to their scarcity.

As a fellow G1 (and P1) owner, I've long since found it to be a very capable board, if a little quirky and at times not very intuitive.  Once you get your head around them, they do indeed have a lot to offer. I still use my P1 and G1, in fact they are permanently set up in my studio, and very recently used both of them on a current project that I'm working on. I do wish that the G1's sampling features were a little easier to use, but otherwise, it's a great board to have. 

Keep us updated on your repairs, and welcome to the world of G1 ownership!

Be very careful with the main CPU board..if you somehow short this board-and delete the operating system-there is no fix for this-you will need an entire new mainboard to get it to work again. I think Casio factory service can do that, but this many years later, I'm not sure. I speak from experience-you can read about those posts somewhere here in the XW-P1 posts section. if you screw up the firmware-by trying to update it and the process gets interrupted-you will have a dead XW. Or if something goes wrong electronically-be very careful handling that mainboard-or any circuits connected to it. I love my XW-P1, but it does not have any socket-replaceable ICs for the operating system, nor does it have a "factory restore" routine if the firmware is corrupted or somehow deleted. I also keep D cells in mine-to make sure the memory/user programs/performances and sequences don't delete from a power surge or other electrical failure. Not really necessary, but I am careful ever since I pooched mine. I was fortunate that I was able to bring it directly to Casio factory service in Dover, NJ that restored it for me. But that was quite a few years ago.