Video Files on Forum ×

Help with recording to laptop (newbie)

Fifty Fifty
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

Hi i am wanting to record songs i have recorded and stored in my keyboard (CX700) to my laptop for use in a DAW. I do not want to use MIDI. 

My understanding is that i have to buy an audio interface to do this. I had my eye on a  Behringer U-Control UCA222 which is cheap and should do the job. However a sales representative is trying to steer me towards a WAY more expensive option the IK Multimedia iRig Pro I/O . The confusion i am having seems to be with the cords/leads needed to connect to the audio interface and to the computer. The Behringer has RCA inputs but can't i just use an adaptor of some sort? Why do i need this expensive option?

So just to be clear.

What leads/adaptors do i need to connect my computer to my keyboard using a Behringer U-Control UCA222  audio interface?

I'm using a HP Spectre laptop.

Any help appreciated i am new at this and it's doing my head in!

I have a UCA222 and it's a good little device. You can download an ASIO driver (details with the UCA) for low latency recording (that is, with a very low delay recording and playing back) which you'll want to use with DAW software.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 10:44 AM, Brad Saucier said:

CT-X700 audio out is the 1/4 inch stereo headphone jack.  You'll need a cable with a 1/4 inch TRS plug one one end, and the other end 2 RCA plugs to fit the UCA222.  You might also want to check your laptop.  Some of them come with mic/line inputs that can work well for audio recording.  

Thanks so much for your help! I think i understand now more clearly. Again,thank you so much!

On 11/3/2021 at 9:55 PM, IanB said:

I have a UCA222 and it's a good little device. You can download an ASIO driver (details with the UCA) for low latency recording (that is, with a very low delay recording and playing back) which you'll want to use with DAW software.

Thank you! That's very helpful.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 8:02 AM, Fifty Fifty said:

Thank you! That's very helpful.

Just to add, one thing to watch out for is that Windows 10 (if that's your OS) identifies the UCA's input as a microphone rather than a line input, assumes it is mono and "helpfully" switches off the Right recording channel, so if that happens to you you need to go into the advanced Sound Settings and switch it to 2 channel, 16 bit, 48 kHz (or 44.1 if that's your preference) to get Stereo working. It had me thinking the UCA was broken at first!

It often seems the easier they try to make things, the more they futz them up...