Video Files on Forum ×

strange ringing sound when playing low F or F#

Dr Livingstoned

Hi,

I have PX-S3000 and I noticed that when I play the 2nd F from the left, (that is the the 13th white key from the left)  I hear a ringing high sound when holding the key for some seconds.

Same issue with the black F# key next to it.  All the other 86 keys dont have this problem as far as i can hear although I heard it one time on the E as well.

It happens more or less on all piano tones (grand piano, mellow piano, bright piano etc) , exept the GMpiano that is behind a different menu (342).

First I thought it was audio feedback or the ever present ringing in my own ears, but when I release the key it is immediately gone.

Especially when I play the key hard the sound becomes audible after a short time.

I did a factory reset, but no change.

I hear this ringing or feedback sound both on the internal speakers and on a headphone.

I also caputured it in a .wav file

can anyone reproduce this, or is it just my own PX-S3000 ?
Or  is this normal behaviour in a piano because of resonance ?

link to sympathetic resonance

Thanks

Edited by Dr Livingstoned

Thanks, I was afraid there was something wrong.
But I guess it is the manufacturers trying to make it as real as possible also copying the imperfections.

I dont like the sound of it. Wish I could switch it off.

I dont know what the Quasi mode D is, but is this a way to make it a little less ?

I added a new example, this time with "G".

It seems to get worse a bit. Is this really "works as designed"?

Edited by Dr Livingstoned

Today I did some extra work finding info about this metallic sound.
I found on facebook a px-s1000 owner with the same problem.  To find out if it is indeed a general problem I went to a local  music shop to test a  px-s3000, a yamaha 515 and a roland fx60, using a  headphone. 

All digital piano's had some ringing sound on the lower keys. Casio the most, roland the second and yamaha the least.
So I guess this sound is (like Brad wrote) a normal sound that pianos make caused by resonance.

In general, I found the sound the casio produces more clear than the others (better high tones).

Maybe this is the reason the metallic sound is more audible on the px-s3000 comparing to the others. 

I can conclude that there is nothing wrong with my own casio.

But since I am not the only one finding it a bit annoying I can also say that casio added too much of this "natural" sound.

In fact, on the FAQ on the casio website they mention this metallic sound. So I guess there are more owners having questions about this phenomenon.

I wish there was a way to reduce it a little. And I am also very surprised no one mentioned it in one of the many reviews that can be found on the internet.

When playing on the speakers it sometimes sounds like there is audio-feedback.

For who is interested  I added an extra sample I made on the px-s3000 in the shop