Video Files on Forum ×

Looking for specific function and I don't even know what this function is called

CasMusic

Okay, so back in 1999ish, my dad got my a sweet Casio keyboard for Christmas. It even had a 3.5in floppy drive where you could save the tracks you recorded.

It worked like this:

Push the record button, and then choose what track you wanted to record on (only tracks 11 thru 18 or so were available). You can adjust the tempo here, change the tone (piano, drum, bass, accordion, whatever), you can turn the metronome on/off and also change the time signature from 4/4 to 3/4 or whatever you need. Once you push a key, the recording begins with a familiar "tick tick tick DING" of the metronome, and you start playing whatever you want on track 11. You do the same on track 12, track 13 and so on, until you have a completed song.

Then, you can play back your completed song, even changing the tempo and it will speed up or slow down accordingly. 

The coolest part is that you could save the tracks to a floppy disk. The keyboard itself could only store 2 tracks at a time, but you could save them to disk and then load them whenever and play them back.

Now, I know I won't find a modern keyboard that uses floppy disks, and that's fine. I'm just looking for similar functionality. I'd like to be able to save the tracks and recall them later. Maybe save on to a USB stick or SD card or some other means of storage. I have seen some keyboards that can be USB'd to a computer, but I don't want this. I want to be able to save and load them without having to lug my computer to the show with me. 

I just basically want my old keyboard back, but with some other means of storage. What model of Casio am I looking for? Doesn't have to be brand brand new. Id prefer it to be used to save me some money.

What's this functionality even called? Arranger? Sequencer? I don't know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

You're talking about what was, for many years, called the song sequencer on Casio models.  In recent years (2015 and newer releases), Casio changed the name of the song sequencer to MIDI recorder.  It's likely the keyboard you had in 1999 was a CTK-731.  A current new model similar to that would be a CT-X3000.  

Looking at the CTK-731, that definitely wasn't my keyboard, but I'm sure Casio made several models with that functionality, and TBH, I may have gotten it in 2000 or even 2001. My old beast was bigger than the CTK-731, and didn't have that 90s retro rad (circles and triangles and stuff) asthetic. 

But MIDI recorder, huh? That's what it's called now? I'd even settle for an older-than-2015 keyboard, as long as I can record and save my songs and then load them later.

Thanks so much for the info. I'll take a look around.