Video Files on Forum ×

Touchscreem accessible for blind users: simple and new idea

Hello Casio Users

My name is Márcio. I'M from Brasil and i'm visual impaired. I love the digital pianos and new keyboards of Casio. I've a PX5S and CT-X5000 and i play in bands with both. Can say: i'm so glad, but the new models (PX560M, MZX500, PX-S1000/1100/3000/3100) are using touchscreem. This technology, if don't have a screem reader, leav the equipments completly inaccessible. 

I know: touchscreem it's a new age of technologys and i don't wanna it's over. Then, thinking about this, i've one idea.

Why you don't creat a remote controls for these models, like the remote controls for television? Could you sale these controls separated. For be one technology very used, I believe it's not something that costs that much money: for produce, for sale and for buy. 

if this idea were to be taken seriously by you, you would be inclusive and pioneering at the same time. The remote controls would feature buttons for all keyboard functions that were compatible and the touch screen would continue to attract users who prefer to use it. I may be crazy, but I believe it's an idea that can put the brand on another level above the competition. 

sorry for my english. I'm learning the language and I used google translator to explain my reasoning. I hope you understand me and consider working on the proposal. As I said, I love Casio's new direction and would like to contribute to the brand in some way, in addition of course to continue it with all the technology and accessibility possible. 

Cheers

• Like 1

Ray Kurzweil pioneered many inventions working with Stevie Wonder, to enable him to work with keyboards, music notation and other devices for the blind. I'm wondering if you contacted him or his company in some way, might he have some ideas for touchscreen translation through voice prompts.

Would not be  insignificant to do this-as all the functions in for example my PX560-would have to know every aspect of working through the screens-the basic screen prompts might not be too complex, with voice prompt templates possibly but beyond that I have no idea how this might be accomplished. The other thought-for at least some functions-might be to use a hardware controller with knobs and sliders, but being that not all the functions on these keyboards can be accessed through midi/sysex commands or any other way-this would be of limited use. The only solution I can think of-would require a massive amount of work-a complete software editor/librarian would have to be created for each of these Casios since none of these have any-and them somehow-have vocal prompts assigned to each software function-down to the smallest menu accessible from the touchscreen-and then, there are all the editing functions. Windows does have text-to-speech as do many android programs for tablets and phones. Even more daunting-and I doubt if Casio would be willing to invest the massive time and money involved-create a voice prompt device that would follow every function in each keyboard.

Right in this group-a few years ago-I typed detailed physical movements for accessing the main buttons used in the PX350 stage piano-and the person was able to use text--to-speech to hear my typed prompts/descriptions. for example-move six inches from the left edge of the PX350 to locate the first top row of buttons-etc. But this instrument has almost complete control of all functions through buttons that can be felt-so for example-I had to describe physically where each button was-how to find it, and then whether to press once, or double press for a particular function. Took hours, again with a touchscreen, no such strategy would work-as how would you know which screen is there initially, and many functions are very close together-picking individual tones etc. Wish I could come up with a better strategy, but it would have to be designed from the ground up-from someone with alot more knowledge than me!

• Like 1

Even the usual digital keyboard on the synthesizer could help solve many pribments for people with poor eyesight.
You can choose tones and rhythms on the synthesizer with it much more convenient and faster. You can also make it so that typing on the numeric keypad, combinations from numbers (code), you get quick access to the settings and options on the synthesizer. It will be even better if it will make it possible to program combinations from numbers - "hot-keys set", to access the desired functions on the synthesizer. Such an option would be useful even for those who have no vision problems. But unfortunately, for some reason, the digital keyboards on expensive synthesizers are missing, and the ability to program and reprogram the digital keyboards for its tasks is also lacking.

Edited by casio_style

Marcio-I have an idea-

I have been studying some of Kurzweil's ideas-including his original reading machine. Apparently there is an ipad app now-that can do this. I don't have an ipad or iphone, but here is a link you might find useful and it apparently will work on a variety of computers for visually impaired. I worked with visually impaired students in my music program years back.

https://cccaccessibility.org/assistive-tech/text-to-speech-apps/kurzweil-1000-3000

I am thinking if these programs (not sure how this works, I haven't researched enough myself) will recognize the touchscreen graphics/words and translate to voice commands, would this work for you? And might assist with other keyboards that have visual graphics describing each function-at least it would help locate what each button does, or in the case of the touch or non-touch screens you would be able to understand what each menu is for. Let me know if you take this any further.

I am not sure what mechanism is used for detecting the visuals-I would guess a video camera of some kind such as built into smartphones, tablets or USB video conferencing cameras which I use often, have enough resolution to pick up even fine print from any object clearly marked. 

With the right mounting system to put a camera in a convenient spot (I'm doing this with mini-video cameras now for enlarging small screens as I can't afford to strain my eyes with tiny fonts anymore-have had eye surgeries to remove cataracts which made me partially blind, am I greatful for these procedures which were impossible in my parent's lifetimes, but gives me an appreciation for how difficult some of this technology can be, and yet how there is now technology that can aid. I even taught a few hearing-impaired students in the classroom with devices that could them "feel" my voice and musical sounds to a degree I did not think possible-until their aides instructed me  how these worked, that even these deaf students would benefit from being in the music classroom, pretty wonderful.

I'm curious-what are you using to read these posts? Are you using the Windows text-to-speech, or something else? I only this past year discovered a Google translate app-that not only will read a foreign language text and immediately translate it to another language you choose, but will do this with voice recognition-and speak it in any language you choose. i didn't realize it had this capability until my  friend in Italy showed me this-for people who cannot speak Italian-can use this with a phone and instantly translate from a native tongue to whatever language they need-it worked very well the last i tried it. I wonder-if this will read the graphics from a screen with the smartphone camera and say it out loud. Now you've got me thinking-I think i will try it myself, this might be the solution for you. I know it did read directly from printed matter and translated it-but in printed matter to another language, i forget if it also had the speaking option.  Hmmm.....I'd forgotten about this until now.

Here it is...and yes it does, well sort of.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/3-ways-to-translate-conversations-in-real-time-with-google-assistant

It's clunky-has to read text first, then hit microphone icon to hear it-so if you are visually impaired-how do you see the microphone icon? I could find nothing that is a true "screen reader to speech" app-that will simply "see" through the camera and give you instant speech. There must be something that can do this. I just haven't found it.

Edited by Jokeyman123

Hello Peoples.

Thanks for the answers. I'll go try answer all questions.

About screen readers, in windows, i use "NVDA". It's a nice screen reader, allmust complet. In android, i use "talk back". 

The screen readers speaks the informations for me, and specifically "talk Back" turn the touch accessible aditing some touch commands with different configurations.

I believe "Yamaha PSR SX700/SX900" have a screen reader, but i don't still tryed. 

About Kurzweil, i never used. It's hard find for here. I know are good machines but i don't still got find one for play.

• Like 1