Video Files on Forum ×

The red Millennium Falcon box of tricks

Chas

Dug my little red PD1 beast out of a cupboard the other day and had a little play with it. I never could get my head round it when I first bought it, but always felt that it had potential. In the new year, once I've finished my current projects, I'm going to spend some time with it and see if I can crack its interface. Maybe I can finally get to grips with it and come up with something interesting...

20211213_000120.thumb.jpg.08aa48158f542ba02bc369eea36bf572.jpg

Edited by Chas
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Replying to my own post here!

Best laid plans and all that, I never did get round to diving into my PD1 this year. The surprise arrival of a CT-S1000V for my birthday last January took up most of my time during 2022, and the poor PD1 had to be left shut away in a cupboard. 

I keep looking at it every now and then and remind myself that I MUST spend some time with it. I'm currently forming some ideas for shorter form videos for my YouTube channel, and the PD1 could play an integral part for what I have in mind. Once my current project and Xmas are out of the way, I am determined to make my red Millennium Falcon finally take flight in 2023.

Here's hoping!

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 4:35 PM, Brad Saucier said:

It's really not too hard to grasp once you get into it.  It's really powerful and can produce an entire track if you put all of the tools together.  I did this entirely with preset tones (no sampling) and entirely within the PD1 in one performance.  

https://on.soundcloud.com/Rybwp

I remember seeing/ hearing that!

The PD1's UI confused me somewhat as I couldn't seem to make a lot of headway with it, and the manual wasn't that clear. I think where I was hitting a brick wall was to try and do everything via the PD1's  interface, when I should have explored the Data Editor and got things set up that way. As said, I plan on spending time with it during/ after Xmas as I'm hoping that I can use it as an on the fly beat box/ bassline generator/ sample trigger for use in short jam sessions with other vintage Casio keyboards. Hopefully I can finally work it out and show what it can do!

Edited by Chas

• 4 months later...

Just to follow up on my previous post, and also unlike a year ago (!), I have actually got around to exploring my XW-PD1 and seeing if I can finally get my head round its interface. Thanks to a couple of videos online, and also one of the manuals, I'm starting to grasp the basics. I've still got further to go to understand some of the deeper features, but I'm finally getting there.

What I have discovered so far are some very well chosen drum kits and some great bass and lead sounds. I've also fired up the Data Editor on my PC to get a basic grasp of that too. What I'm most curious to try is the sampling section and how I can incorporate custom samples into the equation. It really does seem to be a feature packed box of tricks, and maybe after all these years I can finally crack it!

20230404_222557.thumb.jpg.2b149f3fcf3d34cd519bc6ff99ee9877.jpg

• Like 1