Video Files on Forum ×

Help! Casio CKT or CSX best for fun sampling? Other?

Jeezycheezy

I am deep down the rabbit hole trying to figure out which keyboard is best for sampling sounds, vocals, etc for filler in live band performing. 

I wonder and worry about playing sounds up/down keys speed changing faster and slower, so can that be solved?

I don’t want a computer required, just a keyboard with memory to save the sounds I sample, and not distort them during playback live. 

I’m not trying to be a keyboard player, figured I could use a sampling keyboard to add flavor to a 4 piece band. 

It seems like the CTK series 6000 or 7000 are the best I’ve found, but specs are not easy to come by, so things like sample duration and other details would be great to know before I make a purchase. 

Thx!

The only samplers with real gigging capability in Casio's recent history are the MZ-X500/X300 and the XW-G1. Those are like full blown synths and arrangers though, and they have the price tag to show it. Buying those just for basic sample playback would be like cracking eggs with a sledgehammer.

The CTK-6000, CTK-4400, WK-245 etc and those kind have very limited sample memory (like less than 45 seconds), pretty much no sample management tools (you have to record them directly into the audio inputs, you can't convert them from existing files), and they will aggressively mangle your samples if you try to play them far outside the pitch range you initially recorded them at.

If you absolutely can't use a computer or mobile device for your sample playback for whatever reason, you're gonna have to spend a pretty penny to get something with good memory capability and sample handling. Consider something smaller and more specialized, like the Novation Circuit Rhythm or a Roland SP-404SX. Could splurge a bit more and look at an MPC One, or if you're really on a budget, look for an MPC 500 on the used market. A sampling keyboard seems like a waste if you're not going to be a keyboard player, it's gonna be big and expensive relative to what you actually want it to do. Really, really consider just using a laptop or tablet to play your backing track filler if you already have one, I guarantee you it's the most cost effective option.

I used to use something like this for instant access to wavsamples-like a "cart" system in a radio studio-you can also load mp3 soundbytes or full songs and play instantly like a radio station. I just installed it on windows 7 to see if i works, it's pretty good. Alot cheaper than a Roland SP or similar. You would need a small computer though.

https://www.jinglepalette.com/

Or like Chandler said-one of the hardware sample players that use pads for playing your wav samples.  The Volca Sample hardware module looks pretty nice-very small-costs over 100 US dollars though. Definitely don't need to be a keyboard player for that one. The smallest, simplest (but not much memory) I recall is the Roland S10 but its a keyboard-or one of the older Akai sample rack units-but now you will need some money, as even used these will run a few hundred. depends upon how much sample memory you will need. Akai MPX8 or MPX16 might do it-but again looking around, I see prices in the 200 dollar range. These are also very compact if you don't have much real estate on stage. Then there are the electribe samplers-but the price is going up, minimally closer to 300 US dollars and are a bit on the larger side.