Video Files on Forum ×

Octave Shift

drnorm1

If you could demonstrate your solution in a cook book manner, I may be able to make it so. Although I am a jazz musician, the keyboard is very complex and hard for me to manage beyond playing the stage settings. I want to be able to set this octave so I can click on it from the piano mode. I am playing Sir Duke and want to play the instrumental part with an octave using one note.

An octave piano tone is in the tone presets, if you want to use that.  If you are already on Stage Setting 0-0 concert grand, press the piano tone category button and using the plus and minus buttons to scroll through to 014 Octave Piano.  That's the easiest way to get there. 

Personally, I might put a second concert grand piano in zone 2 and octave shift that second zone, then setup a slider to enable and disable zone 2.  This way you have both options in one stage setting and quick access to both.  We'll take it one step at a time if that's what you want to do.  

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the info on getting to the double octave. However, is there a way to get there quickly from another stage setting? I use the concert grand stage setting and need to, "on a dime" so I can shift to double octave for the bridge and back again to the main song.

Hi Brad,

I am responding to your solution you provided in a previous email. You stated:

"Personally, I might put a second concert grand piano in zone 2 and octave shift that second zone, then setup a slider to enable and disable zone 2.  This way you have both options in one stage setting and quick access to both.  We'll take it one step at a time if that's what you want to do."

How would I accomplish this task? Also, does the double octave apply to other stage settings, i.e., guitar? 

The PX-5S is highly customizable, so you can create a setup for octave piano and reach for it several different ways. These options only apply to a particular stage setting.  

Above, I suggested setting up a second (octave shifted) piano you can turn on/off by moving a slider, but perhaps just as easily (instead of a slider), you can use the zone + and - buttons to turn zones on/off.  Press both buttons at the same time to enable or disable a zone. You will see the current zone and on/off status on the main screen as "Z1:ON", as an example. 

To make an octave shift piano stage setting, turn on Z2, change Z2 tone to GrPnoConcert, and press edit>tone>pitch>octave shift>+1.  This layers zone 1 normal piano with zone 2 octave shifted piano. Exit out and press write stage setting to overwrite the original 0-0 Stage Setting, or select the save location as "0-1" and rename it if you wish. This saves your stage setting in a new location.  

You can also install this premade stage setting template as a starting point for your own.  With that, you can configure the zones with normal piano and octave shifted piano, then adjust the volume of each zone using sliders.

Hi Brad,

sometimes I have two layers on my 00 grand piano setting and unable to get it back to the original stage setting. How do I get it back to my original stage setting without the second layer? When I push the - and + and the same time as directed in my manual, it does not bring me back to the default of 00. I need it to go from a special setting (014) to the (00) grand piano.

Additionally, it took me 2 days to be able make this post. I had a message that indicated, I made my limit for the day despite of only posting twice. I had to wait two days to make this post.  Please advise!

You have two different sets of plus and minus buttons on the PX-5S.  To enable and disable zones, use the ZONE buttons left of the display.  The YES and NO buttons right of the display is used to select tones for each zone.  Pressing both of those buttons will reset any currently selected parameter to default.  On the main screen, the parameter those buttons control is tone number. 

I suggest this YouTube series on the PX-5S by Mike Martin.  It is very informative, and what I consider must-watch viewing for anyone who owns a PX-5S. 

As far as the post limit, that is something the forum software does to help prevent spam bots.  Unfortunately it is required. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...