Video Files on Forum ×

Bank Button Getting Worse

rkamn

Anyone run into issue where the Bank button is not accepting input on first press.  It seems the internal contact or something is going bad. I have to press repeatedly and harder in order for the blue light to light up. It seems to be getting worse, which is disturbing because inevitably I won't be able to change stage settings.  Any solution?  (By the way, I'm contemplating doing open heart surgery on the board anyways because I also have a bad case of the one of the Bb keys (and now some other keys) making unexpected responses due to the rubber contact pad inside getting all gummed up.)  Thanks in advance folks!

Privia models have a 3 year warranty from Casio, so if you're within that, definitely seek repair from an authorized service center near you.

If you're outside the warranty and feel comfortable poking around inside, then by all means, open her up and carefully remove parts until you can get a good look at the contacts underneath. The bank button in particular, if you see any visible gunk on the contact, just wipe it down first without applying any foreign substances. If the contact issue persists, proceed with isopropyl alcohol or even full blown electronics contact cleaner that comes in the spray cans if you want to be thorough. I've yet to run into a keyboard button issue that wasn't solved by iso alchohol, though.

As for gunked up keys, can't advise without seeing the disassembled key and whatever kind of residue is on the contact or the key casing. As a rule of thumb, wipe down visible gunk (aside from white keymech grease, that's there from the factory to lubricate) first before trying a foreign substance on anything.

Have you moved the keyboard lately?  Picked it up and leaned it sideways or such? Sometimes moving it can help dislodge whatever got into the buttons.  I had that happen to mine once.  I set it down at home and had a problem with the bank button, but next time I took it out and brought it home, it was fine again.  

On 1/5/2022 at 4:04 PM, rkamn said:

Anyone run into issue where the Bank button is not accepting input on first press.  It seems the internal contact or something is going bad. I have to press repeatedly and harder in order for the blue light to light up. It seems to be getting worse, which is disturbing because inevitably I won't be able to change stage settings.  Any solution?  (By the way, I'm contemplating doing open heart surgery on the board anyways because I also have a bad case of the one of the Bb keys (and now some other keys) making unexpected responses due to the rubber contact pad inside getting all gummed up.)  Thanks in advance folks!

There's another post about the Bb key making a second sound.  Changing the volume of the offending keys from 127 to 126 worked for me.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:24 AM, Brad Saucier said:

Have you moved the keyboard lately?  Picked it up and leaned it sideways or such? Sometimes moving it can help dislodge whatever got into the buttons.  I had that happen to mine once.  I set it down at home and had a problem with the bank button, but next time I took it out and brought it home, it was fine again.  

Good to be aware. I'll pay attention to whether to issue changes after transporting the board to/from rehearsal etc.  Thanks, Brad.