Video Files on Forum ×

CT-S1000V (& CT-S500) Can we disable portamento on tones?

A word on the Realistic sounds and the portamento laden synth sounds: Since the CT670, I have known Casio can come up with some seriously beautiful realistic instrument tones, especially in the Strings and acoustic guitar areas. The Pianos have improved with decades of engine tech improvements. Now the Synth sounds.. so far what I hear from the early 90s to the NOW keyboards, including the XW series, seems to be a mixed bag. Some good, some meh! But one thing still bothers me over all: PORTAMENTO!! That effect is good if you want to apply it yourself in varying degrees of intensity but I have noticed that it is applied hardwired to some of the nicer synth lead sounds with no way to get rid of it or at least tone the glide down a bit. Why is this so Casio? On the XW series which was the first ever modern Casio synth I ever played, that portamento effect was annoying as I wanted to play legato mode (ala PT1/PT80) synth sounds, but the portamento was not so easy to turn OFF. Is this the case on the CT-S500/1000V? Can that effect be switched OFF for the lead sounds or is it hardwired into the preset? Otherwise, wow, Casio has some seriously nice synth lead sounds!! Think CTK1000 synth lead

Just tried changing portamento before digging in for the afternoon ("Saw Lead 1" patch). Everything can be saved to a registration.

As Brad mentioned, you can turn portamento on and off, and can change portamento time. It's also possible to assign portamento on/off to a button in the instrument display. (It replaces the sustain function "SUS".) When assigned that way, one can temporarily enable portamento by pressing and holding the button.

It took me a few minutes to understand the interaction between the various parameter values, but it does work and doesn't require too much digging around in the menu system.

Hope this helps -- pj

• Like 1

As Brad stated above, yes, you can adjust/ turn off portamento in a preset tone (see pics).

And yes, I  remember that patch in the CTK1000 with lots of portamento. It was a great sound,  but the portamento was fixed and non adjustable.  Luckily the S1000V is very flexible and editable in comparison.

20220228_170649.thumb.jpg.7dd5a6d74edf013a703cdf019f070463.jpg20220228_170654.thumb.jpg.3200b443ff3e86b6416b09d2da283c23.jpg20220228_170659.thumb.jpg.0c5df1deca099f5cbf6bdfd9e8adde40.jpg

Edited by Chas
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Thankyou guys! Whatta bunch of scholars and gentlemen! That makes me a bit happier now cause as I heard @Chas video, I was concerned about that since the sound played was a nice synth lead but the portamento was too much. A very little porta with legato is wonderful though. Or non at all like the Casio VL1/PT1 sounds.  I found out something strange btw, about the "monophonic" legato sound of the PT1, that has been unique to Casio for years.. The true polyphony is 2 notes! You can only play one at a time, but I found out, when you hold down only one note, you can still play another(monophonically but still plays). When I pressed a second key, no sounds, silent! I guess that is how the legato works? SO with portamento set to 1 or even 0 on these CT-S keyboards, it would be like that no? I can hardly wait to get mine lol! So many questions would be answered with my keyboard in front of me!