Video Files on Forum ×

MIDI High Reso Out problem when using PX-5S as a controller

WMDkeys

I recently updated the firmware on my PX-5S.  While controlling an electric piano sound on my Nord Stage 3 from the Privia I noticed a loud clicking sound when the Nord’s phase shifter was engaged.  Also the LED lights in the Nord’s effect section cycled through the piano, synth and organ modules whenever I played it from the Privia.  After a lot of trouble shooting, the only way I could fix the problem was by turning the MIDI high reso out setting off in the System Settings.  Can somebody explain what this setting is designed to do when using the Privia as a controller and help me understand why the Privia seems to be sending this type of MIDI message to the Nord.  I have been using my Privia to control various Nords for almost a decade and never had this problem.  I did also recently update the firmware in the Nord so maybe the issue is there but it only occurs when I control it from the Privia.  Thanks.

That is high resolution velocity.  Compared to standard MIDI velocity, high res velocity significantly increases touch sensitivity resolution, meaning the keyboard can transmit a much more detailed measurement of velocity each time a key is struck.  MIDI devices and software not designed to handle high res velocity may perform erratically when receiving the extra data, which is why the PX-5S has a high res out OFF setting.  Turning that off will switch to standard velocity resolution on the MIDI output.  

Thanks Brad.  That sounds like it could be the issue.  I am wondering whether the new firmware for the Nord created the issue on the receiving end of the Midi signal.  I never had this issue before the recent update of the Stage 3.  I would hope that Nord would address this down the road since it sounds like the more detailed measure of velocity transmitted would be very desirable.  I suppose in the interim I could just turn the high res out off when using the phase shifter or other mod effects on Nord EP sounds since that is the only time I am having the issue.  That way I have the more detailed velocity data on piano sounds that I don't use the phase shifter on.  Of course, the other solution would be to use some of the outstanding EPs in the Privia when I want to have a EP phase shifter type sound :)

• 1 year later...

So I am happy to report that Nord has seemed to address this in a more recent firmware update.  I can now switch the high res setting back on the PX-5S with no problems like I had before.  It is good too know that Clavia has finally caught up with Casio and enabled the Stage 3 to process this high res velocity.

• Like 2