Video Files on Forum ×

Phrase cutoff not retained in performance

sim1969

Hi to everybody.

I'm not a synth expert at all, but I own (and like) an xw-p1 since 2014 (except two years).

I was trying to make a performance for Depeche Mode Enjoy The Silence. I did the following:

- I did an user hex layer with the bass on the lower part of keyboard and the rest of voices on the upper part, obviously each part with a distinct range;

- for the bass I choosed the wave number 751 (Sy_TB_Bass1);

- I did a phrase for the bass line; on this phrase I recorded also variations on the cutoff frequency, to emulate the bass in the real song.

- Using the phrase in Tone mode, with the hex layer patch I created, all work as expected (the cutoff of the bassline changes as recorded in the phrase);

Then I started a new performance. On zone 1 - as required - I put my hex layer, with phrase activated on this zone. Then I set up the phrase sequencer for the performance to be active only on the lower range of keyboard (the same range of the bass line in hex layer). I choosed then the phrase I created. for the performance; the phrase plays the line I recorded, but discards the cutoff variations I recorded with the phrase.

If I go back to Tone mode, I select the hex layer I created, I select the phrase I created and play it, all works: the cutoff variations are there.

Why what works in tone mode, doesn't work in performance mode? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks a lot for your support.

Sim

Edited by sim1969

Maybe Brad or Mike might have a better answer but I'll try....

I've not tried that with phrase in a performance. All I can find is a setting in the manual page E-64 which allows you to switch the 4 control knobs on or off for each zone in performance mode. Whether this will switch on/activate the cutoff changes and carry over the cutoff changes you made in your original phrase in performance mode I can only guess. And page E-65 describes how to set CC numbers or each knob within a performance to program what each knob does in performance mode, which sounds like the knobs behave differently or can be set to behave differently from hex mode to hex mode in a performance.

So...again a guess since the manual doesn't describe exactly what to do to achieve what you want...I'm thinking you may have re-record (overdub) your phrase from within performance mode and program the filter cutoff knob to make sure its set for filter cutoff-as it defaults in tone mode, and then record your knob changes-in performance mode and in overdub mode, so to keep your original phrase intact, but now have the knob changes recorded in performance mode. And this assumes that the phrase will record knob changes in perfomance mode for a phrase, and not just a tone in the sequencer. Tricky...good luck.  AlenK may know more about this too. If i get more time, I'll try this myself.

• Like 1

Hi.

Thank you for your good suggestions. I tried to do what you said, it seems to work, even though the cutoff range in performance mode is different from cutoff range in hex layer.

I managed to do a similar (even though not too much) bassline with cutoff changes as the real song.

Unfortunately, the cutoff changes affect all the hex layer tone, not only the bass part (assuming that I did what you said the right way). I think the reason is - as you said before - that what is recorded are the movements of the knob, that affects the whole hex layer tone.

I'll study and try if I can do something else.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Have a nice time.

Sim