Video Files on Forum ×

Live playing using the PX-5S midi to Roland FA-06 and controlling sound changes from the Casio.

drb32856

Hi guys! Today I pulled the trigger on a new PX-5s after going back and forth on getting it or a new Korg Nautilus. My favorite keyboard for live playing is my Korg Kronos. That thing has more ways of doing stuff live than I thought was possible. Plus it has the one feature that made me break my budget at the time and buy it which is set list mode. How sweet to have that touch screen with 16 slots with each song labeled and ready at the touch of the slot. Alas my Kronos is a first gen model and has been gigged heavily for 12 yrs. It still works but I am becoming more gun shy about using it especially outdoor gigs in summer heat.

I have been using the FA06 but hate the grand piano sounds. Also hate having to have a Roland studio set per song instead of being able to have all my combis in one slot. I really liked the grand piano and E piano sounds on the Casio, and I even have a MZX-500 ( like the sounds but the keys clank so badly I stopped using it) and the touch screen is frustrating as well so scared off of the PX 560. So what's the best way to use the 5s live along with the FA06. I want to control sounds (stack/layer) both boards sounds together with ease from song to song. And be able to have the songs in the set in order for 1 button push. Sorry so long.

It depends on what you want to control.  If you want to run a song off of the FA-06, then that would probably be the master controller in that case.

I don't know the full abilities of the FA-06 but you would want to be able to send a bank and program change from the FA-06 to the PX-5s to switch the Stage Setting.   I believe that when you record a song in FA-06, there is an option to select a Bank and a Porgram change.  When you play this somg back and transmit the MIDI, this information would arrive at the PX-5s.

Carry the Bank and Program change only on Channel 1.   This should be at the position you want to change the Stage Setting on the PX-5s

Set Bank 0 = 112

Set Program Change = to the stage setting number (00 - 99)

There must be a MIDI channel out control on the FA-06 so you can limit the channels you want to transmit depending on what sounds you want to play from either keyboard.  A stage Setting on the PX-5s receives on channels 1,2,3 and 4.  There are 4 zones and therefore 4 potential parts each on it's on MIDI channel.

Let me know if it's the opposite way - Switch controls on the FA-06

Edited by Choppin
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help. But I want to use the Casio as the master. For example , we play the song "Alone" by Heart. Right now using the FA keyboard split, I play the piano part on the left and a pad on the right. I want to build a patch with the Casio playing the piano only while it triggers the FA to play a better multi part pad with the sliders on the Casio handling the mix for both, stored as a studio set (Roland) and a Casio stage set for instant recall. And do the same for every song in the set. Some have said I need a laptop running mainstage or something similar but I want to avoid computers on stage.  

Edited by drb32856
Made it clearer

I don't know what the FA can do, but I can tell you what the PX can do, then you can decide what's usable. 

One word, stage settings, well that's two words.  😅 Stage settings can create song ready setups.  Each stage setting is a snapshot of performance related settings on the instrument. You have 4 zones to work with, each zone fully configurable.  A zone can control internal sounds, MIDI output, USB output, or any combination of the three. A zone can select an internal tone, or an external patch with bank and program change data you program in each zone.  A zone can be also be any range of keys, and any range of velocity thresholds.  You can name each stage setting, 100 in total on the board itself.  Stage settings can be selected through MIDI with NRPN data or bank and program change data.  

Thanks again for the assistance. I think you understand what I am going for. My PX-5s is due to arrive today and after unpacking I will begin to explore and create. I'm sure you guys will be hearing from me again😫🤯🤗

• Like 1