Video Files on Forum ×

Rechargeable batteries - why not?

With wireless buds and 6 D-type batteries, this piano would be great for gigs, especially open mic sorts, where it's nice to be able to get on and offstage fast.  But the batteries are only good for 4 hours.  Buying 6 D-type alkaline batteries every time I play seems like an expensive proposition.  What about recharageables?  The manual says:

"Use alkaline or zinc-carbon batteries.  Never use oxyride or any other nickel based batteries."

Huh?  Why not?  They don't say.  I wrote to them.  Here's their reply:

Thank you for contacting Casio America. We do not recommend using rechargeable batteries because they often operate at a lower voltage and/or have a lower capacity than standard (non-rechargeable) batteries.

Well, that's not very helpful now, is it?  My question is:  If one uses rechargeable batteries on this instrument, will there merely be possible performance issues (which I'm willing to chance), or will the electronics actually be damaged?  Has anyone tried rechargeables?

If you want detailed tech info-might have to educate yourself about all this as there are as many opinions as stars in the James Webb telescope sky. My experience-not very useful unfortunately. since the Wks need a certain amount of minimum voltage to operate properly, you will most likely drain the rechargables pretty quickly since the Casio is trying to draw more voltage and current than these can supply at 1.2V

Undervoltage is not a good idea anyway-probably won't ruin a component, but here is a technical POV.

Since all internal software and hardware routines run through logic circuits which need a certain amount of minimal voltage to work properly-you might scramble the memory routines, memory chips, IC-albeit probably temporarily-but maybe not. Like running a car on cheap gas-might not do obvious damage at first, but keep it up and problems might crop up after awhile. Most internal software/sound generating/keyboard scanning/etc. is hard-wired in the Casios, tied to a dedicated IC so chances are nothing will happen, but i would find an alternative, and I have. Keep in mind, this voids any warranty, and i am not recommending this professionally-only as a well-meaning but possibly misguided attempt to help😁....

I have found dedicated voltage-regulated portable power packs with barrel plugs that fit my Casios-be careful you are observing proper polarity in that power jack, reverse polarity DC will definitely not help anything. I think the WK's/CTK's are tip positive mostly. Over-voltage-I would definitely not do that-make sure you get a power pack rated for the proper voltage. I found one very well-made 9v/12v switchable lithium-ion pack with a set of adapters that I use with my PX-560 instead of the wall-wart, which I will use only if I have no AC power source. At least these packs have some voltage regulation, and I use rather small packs-such as used to charge or power smartphones. the packs I have are designed as supplies though, not just chargers. again, I take no responsibility, and am not disagreeing with Casio's policy re correct batteries. I'd more trust an external balanced lithium pack than the wrong internal batteries.

One more thing-I notice with my portable handy-talky amateur radio-it uses 2 different plastic-frame power packs depending upon whether i use rechargables or standard alkalines, and 2 software settings to switch-must be a reason.

Hey Jockeyman123, even though I've been in this user group for only a day, I already know you, because I immediately discovered your guide to disassembly of the WK6600.  What a find!  For over 30 years I have been playing a Kurzweil SP88 piano, which was only possible because I found a web page explaining how to open the sucker up.  This I have had to do at least once a year.  I've repaired innumerable keys, usually because the lead weight breaks off, creating a dreadful knocking sound, but I also once had to replace the on-off switch.  By the way, the key weights are really unnecessary - the action isn't all that different if you play without them, but I'm a bit of an O-C sort of guy, and I glue them back in anyway (I only use JB Weld).  Your instructions for disassembly of the WK6600 are truly terrifying - I pray I'll never need to open it up.  But if I do have to, I know that I can now.  So I thank you for that.  As for the electric issue, I thank you also for steering me to the power pack solution.  I will definitely look into this.  I've also written back to Casio, specifically asking whether their advice (i.e., to NOT use rechargeables) is based on the possibility of internal damage, or whether the instrument will simply not perform correctly with sub-optimal voltage.  I doubt they'll answer the question, because saying anything other than "DON'T USE RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES - THAT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY" will frighten their legal team.  But I asked the question anyway.  I'll let you know how it goes....

Yes, being a musician in general has sometimes been a "terrifying" (but amazing) experience anyway-tearing apart keyboards has been a step down from playing clubs, weddings, parades. church work and directing huge musical productions-which is where I had to learn to do these things. Imagine my terror realizing i was going to be the sole creator/performer of all my arrangements for a huge public performance I was a school music director-the only one in the entire district-and had to completely rely 1-2 keyboard workstations and my own mic/sound systems-and if something went wrong-I would be the only one able to fix it! I had to go through 4 generations of wireless mic setups alone before I found one that worked onstage without EMI/RFI/power supply problems and could pick up on and off-stage. Only took me about 30 years to get that all pretty much "perfected", or at least somewhat consistently successfully pulled off. So tearing apart a Casio/Kurzweil/Yamaha/Generalmusic/Roland/Korg is actually-fun.....sometimes.

Sounds like you've done it all!  I'm 73 and I'm still trying to figure out what the cosmological meaning and purpose of the whole thing is.  If I figure it out I'll let you know.  In the meantime, I just noticed that the WK6600 has a 12V tip positive input.  I used a magnifying glass to read the fine print on the power supply, and it surely says that the output=12V.  Yet the instrument, when operated on battery power, somehow requires only 6 batteries.  Hmmm, let's see how much math I remember.  6x1.5 = 9V.  They're bellyaching about how rechargeable batteries shouldn't be used because "they often operate at a lower voltage and/or have a lower capacity than standard (non-rechargeable) batteries".  What the heck?  The instrument  would appear to require 12V.  How the heck can it run on 9V at all, regardless of battery type?

• Thanks 1

Good question, I'll have to return to the mothership to get that one answered.

:spacecraft-1:

• 1 month later...

That's what I am using on alot of music electronics that consume AA batteries like potato chips. These are outboardlithium-ion packs though, and if something uses tip-negative-I make my own barrel adapters that simply reverse the wires. I have a huge collection of barrel adapters in different sizes easily gotten on amazon, ebay or elsewhere.

I've been trying out "EBL" lithium-ion 9V batteries which need a dedicated charger, not terribly expensive and I also use barrel adapters with 9V plugs on the other end. If you look these up, the blue ones rate true 9V but only 700mAh, there are some with 1200mAh. I also ordered a newer type of EBL 9V that have a built-in mini-usb charging port-I contacted the buyer just yesterday 9/21/2022- as I am testing these out at only 8.4V, which is either indicating defective batteries-are supposed to be 9V-or a defective seller mis-informing these as 9V when in reality the chemistry might only be allowing 8.4V, and i have repeatedly re-charged these trying several different USB chargers and cables, same result. and listed as 5400mAh-in a 9V pack configuration I doubt that spec. Some of my electronics will not work at all if the minimum voltage doesn't hit 9V.