Video Files on Forum ×

Casio Privia PX-S3100 vs CDP-S360 Keybed noise

dbeals

I’m debating on whether I should go with the Casio CDP S360 or Casio Privia S3100. I’m a complete beginner and wanted to go with a full size weighted keyboard to learn on. One very important thing is I need a quiet keybed since I live in an apartment and will be practicing while my wife sleeps (don’t want to wake her up with loud keys clicking and need a quieter action). I tried them both in the store and I think the s3100 seems to be a little quieter action than the cdp s360. Does anyone else notice the s3100 to be a quieter action too? I asked this on a Facebook group and some said that they  they both are the same action/keybed. Thanks.

Both have physically the same action.  They will feel different due to different sound engines, but there should be no noticable difference in action noise.  One thing that plays a part in perceived noise level is where the keyboard is placed in a room, a solid table, open bottom stand, carpeting, rugs, hard flooring surfaces, things that reflect or absorb sounds, etc.  

15 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Both have physically the same action.  They will feel different due to different sound engines, but there should be no noticable difference in action noise.  One thing that plays a part in perceived noise level is where the keyboard is placed in a room, a solid table, open bottom stand, carpeting, rugs, hard flooring surfaces, things that reflect or absorb sounds, etc.  

Thanks!  Yes that is great to know. I really love the S3100 and the sound and features seemed better than the 360… so I’m leading towards the S3100. Seems like a wonderful piano to learn on as a beginner 😃 

Edited by dbeals

Just wanted to give an update on this. I ended up buying both of these to try at home in a quiet room (I had narrowed it down to these 2). The keys on the Privia s3100 are definitely a little bit noisier than the CDP-s360. It’s not a huge difference but the s3100 seems to be a bit more clacky sounding, almost like the keys are looser… the CDP-s360 has tighter feeling keys and the noise they make is not as high pitched clicking as the s3100.

Both of these were brand new but I also realize maybe I got an s3100 that is just noisier from the factory for some reason, I’m not sure. For most people, it will probably be a non issue, but for me it is since I’m mainly playing in a small apartment  late at night and need the quietest keybed I can find so I don’t wake my wife up lol. 

That being said, the s3100 is a fantastic digital piano and has wonderful sounds and features. I think I’m now leaning more towards the CDP-s360 because of the keybed and my unique situation (as a complete beginner, it’s probably better for me anyways lol).

Anyways, just wanted to update everyone with what I had found and hope it can help others too. Thanks. 

• Like 1